Distant chemo treatments?

Guest hearrean

Guest hearrean

I know noone has a crystal ball, but I do have a question for anyone who may have taken this approach. I have my 1st appointment with my MD Anderson Thoracic Oncologist in Houston this coming Monday (11/12). We live in the Beaumont area which is about a 2 hour drive to the Center. I don't know what will happen during that 1st visit, but whenever he decides to start my Chemo regime, what would be the possibilities of them directing orders to a local Cancer Center for the Chemo treatments so I would be closer to home? Particularly since I don't know what to expect from side affects, etc. At least if I were here locally & had a problem, I wouldn't have to drive 2 hours to get back to MD Anderson. Please understand, I would want MD Anderson to direct all my care & I understand I would be going back to them for follow-up testing, etc. I would simply want to receive the treatments here locally. Does anyone have any ideas? I plan on asking the Doc on Monday. but I was just wondering.

Ken

Hi Ken,

When I was scheduled for my adjuvant chemo, it was under the direction of my doctor at the National Institutes of Health (NCI), BUT it was administered here at home ~ 2 hours away, just like you. There was no problem with that. Hope that works out for you! Good luck!

Kasey

We were lucky enough to have innumerable people offer to Drive Colleen into Philly for her treatments even when she was dong daily radiation. She was comfortable there and that's all that mattered to us.

Our neighbor, who was being treated at the same hospital in Philly had her Treatments done locally for a bit, and then in home. I have heard this is pretty normal. Best of luck.