Checking in......hello everyone

mommadukes101

We have had a quiet week, hubby has been to the radiologist to prepare for his treatments which begin on Monday. He has his little tattoo markings which is kind of funny because he has several tattoos already! He was told to get clear aloe gel and apply on his chest and back every day before the treatments, also to use only Dove unscented soap to avoid "further irritation." What an understatement, I am not looking forward to this part, I think I have more trepidation than he does about the radiation side effects. And he was warned that he can expect a difficult time with the swallowing/throat thing. We are prepared for all of this the best we know how, any suggestions for skin care or anything else is appreciated. And thanks again to all for the encouraging support so far, it means so much to me.

Good luck on the rads for your husband. We were prescribed Biafine topical emulsion cream to aid with lessening any burning effects. It said to apply twice to four times daily. Also, depending on where the target area is, don't use underarm deodorant on that side.

Sorry that he has to go through this, but the yucky side effects are just temporary, so there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. (A friend of mine went through this kind of radiation.) There will be things given to him to aid with the burning/swallowing problems when that hits.

Regards,

Welthy

I have very fair Irish skin. I did 36 Tx's with 11 hits each Tx, scarce to no skin changes!? I never really used the eucerin they suggested. The swollowing thing is a bummer for 3-6 weeks, no bubbles (beer :cry: ). Alls back to good now! Get the couch comfy and ride it out, it feels good when its completed. Mary

Col used the eucerin for the skin reactions, she said it wasn't terrible, just like a bad sunburn that the cream helped. The swallonwing thing was a problem for her, but they gave her this "magic mouthwash". Lydocaine, benadryl and water maybe??? It kind of numbed her throat so she could swallow easier to eat and stuff.

Wishing for all the best.

My best to you and your husband as he goes through radiation treatment. The worst my hubby had was the sore throat. The magic mouthwash helps quite a bit and the fact that it doesn't last a long time. We found that drinking Boost plus ( he loved Vanilla) helped to keep up his calorie and vitamin intake when he wasn't quite up to swallowing. Pasta, Rice and soft foods are a help as well. Good Luck.

Sue

Just wishing you the best. I know how bad side effects can be but they are temporary.

There are many people who have walked in your shoes and will help your through this.

Welthy has been through most of this with her late husband and has become sort of an authority on these issues. She has already given you advice.

Keep us up to date on what is going on. There is always someone who will have suggestions for you.

Maryanne