Nine years this month.....

missmydad

I wish that I would have found this site years ago. I have read through a lot of the posts and I am so sorry for all of your loses.

My father passed away of stage 4 large cell carcinoma in November of 1998. He was diagnosed in October and passed away the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. It was so fast, and we felt like he had just been ripped out of our lives. I feel as if we were still in shock from the diagnosis, and then we were dealing with his death. The doctors told my parents that judging from the severity of the tumors and the way it was spreading so quickly that he probably had the cancer for over 10 years. How is that possible? My father was never one to complain about anything, so maybe he was ignoring the symptoms. We really didn't even have time to talk about it with him.

The doctors told my Mom and Dad that he would have six months at best... Dad had undiagnosed ulcers, after the first chemo he bled out and was hospitalized. He never left the hospital.. the cancer took over and moved to his liver then kidneys and everything just shut down. My mother didn't leave his side, the doctors came in to check her because her ankles were so swollen from not moving... they had been together since they were 14 and 15. It was so amazing to watch them together... everytime they would straigten my father back up in his bed he would end up moved over again towards my mother. It was like even during his death he had to be as close to her as he could.

I believe with all of my heart that even though my father is not with us physically that he is still around. I know there have been several times since my Dad's passing that I have asked him to be with me. Something always shows me that he is. I remember the last kiss from my Dad... I will always treasure that. He was a wonderful father. Never a critical word always encouragement. I miss him so much.

My husband and I named our baby boy after him. Our little Raymond Keith is even a Picses like Grandpa. We found out after his death about our infertility issues. I remember at one of my low points having a dream about my father... all he said was that I was going to be a mom and then he hugged me. I woke up crying and called my Mom immediately. It was just one of those dreams that felt so real. So I not only believe that God had a HUGE part in our little one being with us, but my Dad knew too. Our son is with us through the miracle of adoption, but it amazes our family how much his baby pictures look like our father.

Life is such a beautiful journey, and I am so thankful that I had big Raymond Keith as my father.

I miss you Dad and I love you so much!

Thank you for letting me share a little of my father with you. I still can't believe sometimes that he has been gone this long.

What a beautiful post. I am so sorry about your Dad. It is very obvious through your words that he was a remarkable man. He and your Mom sound like such a wonderful couple.

I am very glad you found this site and have joined us. Welcome and I do hope you will stick around.

Warm regards

Christine