Introduction from New Mexico

lorbethm

Hi, everyone. I'm a newbie to this board, but not to the world of Internet communities. :) Thanks to Ken for introducing me to this board. :)

I am a 37 year old non-smoker who has been rudely introduced to the world of lung cancer with the diagnosis of neuroendocrine carcinoma in October. I had a lung resection on October 11th where my lower right lobe was removed along with a tumor that had two lobes. I also had 11 lympnodes removed at the same time. All the lymphnodes came back clear, as did the margins. My pathology report states, though, that lymphvascular invasion was identified, so I'm assuming that I will start learning about the wonderful world of chemo beginning next week. I am a patient at MD Anderson, and I thank God for the doctors there every day. I am stage IB.

My cancer was found by "accident" (I say by God-cident) when my appendix ruptured in August. They were doing CT scans at our local hospital trying to figure out what was wrong with me when they found the two masses in my lungs. After I recuperated from that surgery and a 13 day hospital stay, I went down to Scott & White for a bronchoscopy and biopsy. They initially diagnosed me with SCLC but then two days later decided it was a hamartoma. I then made the smart decision to head on down to MD Anderson for a 2nd opinion. It was after my lung resection that the final diagnosis was made.

In my "normal" life, I work as an instructional technologist for a community college, and also teach part-time for that college. I am the mom to two wonderful kids, Alex who is 8 and in the 3rd grade, and Aleice who is 4 and in preschool. I've been married for 14 years to the same incredible man who has been by my side through the past four months supporting me and encouraging me. We are active members of the church of Christ in our hometown and are trying to stay active even through the recuperation after two major surgeries. I am hoping that I can start back to work on December 3rd after not working since August 1st. My employer has been incredibly supportive through this whole process and have even provided monetary support through donations.

I am still trying to learn about my particular kind of cancer. It doesn't seem to have a lot of information "out there" but it appears mine is a slow growing cancer as there were no changes in the size of the tumors from August to October. If anyone has any further information about this cancer, I'd love to read it.

Thank you in advance for the encouragement I will receive. I never thought I would walk this cancer path and it's been very scary, but I see God put people in my path constantly who can encourage me.

Hugs and thanks. :)

Lorie

Welcome Lorrie:

I had not really heard much about neuroendocrine carcinoma, until the last few weeks or so after reading of other new members who have that diagnosis. I suppose there have been others in the past too, but I never noticed. You will find Dr. west’s site to be very helpful too.

Don m

Welcome Lorie. So glad you found us. Boy you have been through a lot this year. I ruptured my appendix and had a lobe of lung removed also but 30 years apart!

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Donna G

Lorie-

Welcome!! Sorry you have to be here but this is truly the best place for lots of support, hope and caring. I only wish I had found this site when I was first diagnosed.

I am not familiar with your particular type of cancer but would like you to know that everyone here is willing to give you any support you may need.

Keep us posted on your progress.

God Bless!

Patti B.

Hi Lorie,

I'm another one who doesn't know anything about your type of lung cancer. I have/had NSCLC. I'm sorry I can't help you with that. I just had to respond to your post because you live in my favorite state. I've been in Taos, Sante Fe, and Cloudcroft. Loved them all. Welcome to our group. I'm sure some of the people with your diagnosis will respond.

Muriel

"Muriel"]Hi Lorie,

I'm another one who doesn't know anything about your type of lung cancer. I have/had NSCLC. I'm sorry I can't help you with that. I just had to respond to your post because you live in my favorite state. I've been in Taos, Sante Fe, and Cloudcroft. Loved them all. Welcome to our group. I'm sure some of the people with your diagnosis will respond.

Muriel

Cloudcroft is our favorite get-away place. :) That's going to be my reward when I get the all-clear...we are spending a weekend in Cloudcroft! ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

Lorie

Welcome Lori,

I am going to echo what ever one else has said. I too am just learning about this kind of lung cancer.

This is only the 2nd time I have heard of it. I know nothing.

What does MD Anderson say about it? Did they have informtion on it? I hope it's STOPPED in it's tracks as of right now for you and that you will be a very looooooooonnnnnnnng term survivor.

I look forward to seeing you around. I just wish NONE of us had to be here!