I can't stop smiling!

pewjumper

So, if it's ok, I'd like to recount where I was one year ago. On Thanksgiving Day, Mom had just been moved from ICU to the floor after having her upper right lobe removed as well as a wedge resection. We'd been at the hospital for days. I was exhausted and more scared than I'd ever been.

On Thanksgiving morning, with my mom in the hospital and so very sick, I tried my best to cook some sort of Thanksgiving dinner to take to her and to have for my brothers. I caught the stove on fire and freaked out. I put the fire out, turned everything off and sat down on the couch and cried myself to sleep, terrified that I was about to lose my mommy (yes grown men can say mommy). I thought about all the wonderful things she did and how my failure in fixing dinner just showed how much I couldn't live without her. I remember sobbing so hard that my face was sore for days. I did this all too often a year ago. It was the most awful thing I've ever experienced - and not many know that pain and fear. But you all do.

But today. :cry: <-- tears of joy.

Today we plan on sitting down and deciding what we want for Thanksgiving, then going to the store to buy the stuff, and tomorrow we will start baking and getting ready for the awesome dinner she'll be here to cook for us on Thursday. And that's great, but it's not the full reason I'm smiling.

The real reason is that this morning, she left work to go to her oncologist, and he not only told her there's no sign of any cancer, he also told her he's confident that she should have the port taken out now. He's having his office call to schedule the procedure. She's having her port taken out!

I could've just came in here and told you that she's having her port taken out and you'd been no less happy for us; but I have to share with someone who knows. The pain I felt last year versus the joy I feel this year.

I realize we're not all people of faith, but I can not pass up the opportunity to say that I'm grateful to the Lord. I can't express my gratitude enough to Him for His blessings. I'm overwhelmed with gratitude this Thanksgiving - and I owe so much to the people on this forum. What inspiration and help I've found here. Thank you, for being here for us. And for those who have lost, my heart breaks for you and I think of you so often.

May you all have a blessed holiday season. You are in my prayers at all times.

This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning: Great is thy faithfulness.

Mitchell

I remember when you first joined us and those feelings you were having. You were so scared and felt so alone. You found us and we helped your through this by giving you support, hope and prayers.

What a difference a year makes!

I am so thrilled for how everything turned out.

This should help others know that this monster can be put to rest.

I know this will be the best thanksgiving ever as you never thought your "mommy" would be making the turkey this year.

Have a wonderful day!!

Maryanne :wink:

This is certainly the right place...you don't need to explain. Our prayer again this year was just like last @ Dinner my daugher and neice both 5-said how happy we were to have "our Grammy" here with us again this year. How things change - what we are thankful for. I am so glad your Mom is doing well.

Take care of yourself.

Dar

Mitchell....I am so very happy that this Thanksgiving will be such a very special day for you and Kathy!!! It's stories like yours that offer so much hope and inspiration to others!!! After reading your post, all I can say is "AMEN"