DECISION TIME WITH MY LUNG CANCER

Max L

The update thus far is that we just returned from a visit with our pulmonologist and have decided on a course of treatment. The doctor stated that I am very fortunate to have caught this cancer very early and feels that it can be totally removed through VAT, Video-assisted thoracoscopy. This procedure involves inserting a flexible tube that looks like a miniature telescope, a tiny camera, and surgical instruments through an incision in the rib cage. The camera dislays the image on a TV screen and the surgeon uses the display to guide the operation. The advantage over traditional thoracotomy include shorter recovery time and a small incision. Always wanted to be on TV, but hoped for Dancing With The Stars. Interestingly, I had researched to the best of my abilities all the various treatments, asked as many questions as possible and had pretty much decided that this might be the best treatment for me. Did not tell this to the doctor, but was happy when she felt this would be the best way to go. Anyway, Inez and I are happy that we have caught this early and are even happier that hopefully we will be doing something in the next few weeks to get rid of this cancer. We humbly thank all in our family, our friends, and our support groups for all the care, the advice and their prayers. We intend to stay as positive as we can, which we have done with the prostate cancer and not to ever give up. Please remember that early detection is very very important no matter what health problem you are fighting.

TO EVERYONE, INEZ AND I CANNOT TRULY EXPRESS THE WONDERFUL FEELING WE HAVE WHEN WE RECEIVE ALL OF YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS. YOU ARE ALL A FANTASTIC, CONSIDERATE, CARING GROUP OF PEOPLE. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN. KEEP FIGHTING, KEEP POSITIVE AND NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP.

Max,

VAT's!! Way to be -- that will be an easier recovery then full blown surgery. The ribs are an ouchy area, but you'll do fine! (My husband had VAT's.)

Happy to hear that your cancer was caught early -- this is all too rare of an occurrence for lung cancer. There are no early detection mechanisms for lung cancer and those that are possible are hotly debated right now. Lung cancer is a different animal from most other cancers. You are indeed lucky my friend and I wish you great success with the surgery. Bye-bye cancer for Max!

Keep us posted.

Warm regards,

Welthy

Max:

You are indeed lucky to have caught it early and I am glad you found someone to do the VATS procedure. I was visiting my second son and his family in Gilbert this past week and had Thanksgiving there. I was thinking about you. Good luck with your surgery.

Don M

I had a lobectomy in September using VAT. Only 3 days in hospital. Have you considered adjuvant chemotherapy after surgery ? I had a stage 1b and mixed opinions on adjuvant chemotherapy.

HI DON AND BRUCE. THANKYOU BOTH FOR YOUR KIND WORDS AND YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS. NO, BRUCE HAVE NOT AS YET DISCUSSED ANY FURTHER TREATMENT BEYOND THE VAT, BUT MIGHT DO SO. DON, WE WERE REALLY CLOSE AS WE ALSO WERE IN GILBERT HAVING THANKSGIVING TURKEY. HAD A WONDERFUL TIME AND AFTER PLAYING WITH GRANDCHILDREN, REALIZE HOW THANKFUL WE REALLY ARE. YOU BOTH STAY WELL, STAY POSITIVE AND KEEP FIGHTING.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Denise..thankyou for your thoughts, support and kind words. Have to admit that as Friday draws closer my positiveness seems to be ebbing just a little bit, but my wonderful wife, Inez, keeps pushing it back. Inez and I wish you well in your treatment and we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Please stay with this support group because we have been totally astounded at the wonderful caring people that have sent us messages of hope and love. This is what maintains our positive attitude. Am certain you will feel the same. Please take care, do stay positive, keep fighting, be your own advocate and make certain you have a record of each thing that the medical world does to you. Always remember they work for you and not the other way around. This seems to be the same problem we have in Congress and our administration.