feeling a little overwhelmed

Christinex

Hi guys,

I saw my oncologist the other day and actually got some good news. The first 3 chemo treatments have succeeded in shrinking the tumor and a PET scan did not reveal any "hot spots" on my spine. We're going to do 3 more treatments and then another round of tests. If the tumor shrinks some more, I'm going to go off of chemo and on to Tarceva. Naturally I'm happy about all of this. While I was there I summoned up the courage to ask what stage I was and was told "stage 4 incurable." This doesn't mean that I am doomed, right? It means that the cancer will always be there and must be managed, right? I'm glad I asked him the question but the reply is proving a bit hard to deal with. Over the weekend I'm going to comb the message boards and look for postings from other stage 4s but in the meantime I wouldn't mind hearing from somebody about this. Incidentally, is Tarceva a pill and is it usually administered on a long term basis?

Thanks,

Christine

"goat whisperer"

Tarceva is a once a day pill that can be taken at home. Here is a Link for more info and many here are on it or have been on it.

http://www.tarceva.com/index.jsp?source ... &q=Tarceva

Good link with neat little video at start!!!

Hi Christine:

my hubby has been on tarceva for 11 months and is still stable. You may experience some side effects such as a skin rash (usually means the tarceva is working) :D and some people experience diarrhea. If that happens to you be sure to post here as there are many different ways of managing the diarrhea.

The other side effect could be extreme fatigue. My hubby changed his regimen and now takes the tarceva at night so that he sleeps through the worst of the fatigue.

Whatever your side effects, please keep us posted and you'll get lots of info on how to handle it.

Tarceva has been a miracle for many, and I hope it works for you. Good Luck & God Bless

wendyr

Christine,

Glad you found us. One thing I would like to say is that no matter what age or what stage of cancer you have, every case is different. I will be saying prayers that your treatment and scans come out well. As for Tarceva, many of our members have had near miraculous response to it. Spend a lot of time reading here .. there is a wealth of information shared.

Sue

Thanks, everybody, for all of the helpful information on Tarceva and the encouraging words about battling this cruddy disease. I feel very fortunate to have stumbled across this website and I don't think it was an accident that I did. You're all very inspiring and I've already read some great stories of perservance and survival. Thanks for being here.

Christine

Christine -

I am also Stage 4 and I simply REFUSE to listen to statistics. According to them, I should not be here now and I am doing everything I did before I got sick, albeit a little slower. Statistics are crap. One doc even told me they are based on patients in their 70s and 80s so the verdict is out as to how well they would have done if they had been younger! DO NOT LISTEN TO STATISTICS Your desire to fight and kick this disease in the butt will help you SOOO much. I told my onc. that I WILL see my son graduate from high school and I will be damned if I don't. ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!! I no longer even ask the question about timelines anymore - I will set my own!!

As far as Tarceva - I am on Alimta right now with Tarceva being probably my next line of treatment. All I know about it is that it is a pill and rash and diarrhea are the side effects but the rash usually is a good thing - means it is working. Check around on some of the older posts on this forum - there have been many posting on this subject.

Sending you hugs and prayers - keep us posted as to how you are doing!

Patti B.

Christine, Stage 4 is considered "incurable," but my mom's Onc. has been very optimistic about the cancer being 'controllable." And, so far, for her it has been controlled. The chemo shrank the tumor and put it "to sleep." And now my mom is leading her normal life with no treatments and with a full head of hair! Her last chemo treatment was May 2nd, so next week she will have been off chemo for 7 months and is doing great! I'm still not convinced about the "incurable" part, but we'll take managing this as a chronic disease. We are so much more optimistic now, that we were right after her DX.

Susan

Hi Christine,

I was diagnosed stage IIIb after my surgery, but my Dr. said it was only for treatment purposes. When I researched it online, it sounded horrible, was almost like a "death sentence". I can understand your feeling discouraged after what your Dr. said. There are many people on this board who are stage IV and are truly an inspiration. Glad you stumbled on this site. As I have, you will find a lot of support here.

-Elyse