New Member Introduction

cyrusrm1

Hi, my name is Cy Middleton. I am a 31 year old non smoker. I started having pneumonia like symptoms in August and was treated with antibiotics, which did no good.

Finally sent for a CT scan and referred to pulmonologist. He did not like the look of the CT and did a bronchoscopy.

Was diagnosed with Stage IV NSCLC adeno carcinoma with spread to pelvis, spine, ribs, and bones.

Hospitalized for DVT in right leg and began chemo while in hospital.

Released from hospital and began second chemo three weeks later.

My first child was born Oct 5th.

Switched cancer doctor, who did more scans which showed spread of the tumors and not shrinkage. Chemo was discontinued and I was switched to Tarceva for 30 total days with more PET/CT scans to see if it working.

I cannot breathe very well and my heart races from time to time. I get up and down the stairs once a day, which is like running a marathon and I feel like my heart might explode from the effort Just going to the bathroom is tiring. My wife has to do everything for our son, thank God she is so strong. I really don't feel like I have a long time left, especially since nothing seems to working. I hate this disease. The only comfort I am feeling right now is my faith in God and the love of my family. I don't understand this disease and why it had to happen to me now or at all. My heart goes out to the rest of you dealing with this horrible thing.

Hello Cy and welcome

I am so sorry you had a reason to find a site like this but am very glad you have joined us. This is the best place for information, support and HOPE. Please let us know how we can help, ask any and all questions and someone here will be able to offer you advice and/or answers.

Congratulations to you and your wife on the birth of your baby. What a blessing!

Warmly

Christine

Cy:

Your message conveys a great amount of strength along with your very understandable despair. I can only guess how I would have reacted if faced with advanced lung cancer at age 31 instead of 71.

We have an increasing number of young never-smokers joining our group. The number seems out of proportion to other new cases, and I haven't heard a reasonable explanation as to why. Perhaps an environmental factor not yet identified?

Tarceva has been practically a miracle drug for many, and I hope it does great things for you. Please post as often as you can, and let us know how things are going.

My best wishes to you and your family with much Aloha,

Ned

Cy,

Firstly: Congratulations on your new child.

What a gift of hope in the middle of your ordeal.

A special hug for your strong wife and lots of understanding and support for you.

I am praying that Tarceva is the miracle for you it seems for others.

Hugs

Pat

Welcome Cy to a message board filled with great people and lots of support. Keep us posted on what is going on with you. Congrats on that baby!!!

Bruce you might want to post your question as a separate thread or perhaps a moderator and sort it out from the thread. LOL

(((Cy)))

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this terrible disease. It's amazing the inner strength that we can find when needed. Please know that you and your family are in my prayers.

Never give up hope!!!

God Bless You!!

J

"If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you can move mountains"

Cy,

Congratulations on your new baby. It just doesn't seem fair that lung cancer has come into your life.

Please know that there are survivors on this board that are stage vi and are enjoying life. I am one of them - I was initially diagnosed 3 3/4 yrs ago at IIIa and 22 months ago the cancer spread to my spine and pelvis. (You can see more info on my history below).

I have been on Tarceva for the last 22 months and I have no signs of cancer now. I have my fingers crossed that Tarceva works its magic for you too.

Your family is in my prayers,

Wendy

Welcome Cy~

Tarceva has worked wonders for many here- I wish the same for you. Ask your doctor also about Avastin. Please let us know what the next scans show and how you are doing. There is nothing like holding a sleeping baby to calm the nerves and the heart. I am glad you found us.

Rochelle

Welcome Cy:

Sorry you had a need to find us, but we're to offer any help and support you need.

Ry is right, Tarceva combined with Avastin can be a very good combo for some.

Please continue to post and let us know your progress. Good Luck & God Bless

wendyr

Hello Cy Middleton, my name is Connie Berchem and it's my pleasure to meet you. I too am a long term Stage IIIB lung cancer survivor. I was 43 years old when I was dx.d with Adenocarcinoma Lung Cancer.

I am CANCER FREE TODAY! And have been for 12 years. HOORAY! However I know am dealing with heart problems from my radiation treatments. But, we take baby steps and one day at a times around here.

I hope you will take the time to fill out your PROFILE! That is soooo helpful to all of us.

I hope you'll find great comfort here and wonderful support. This is the place to be.

Welcome Cy,

I'm glad you found us, but so sorry you needed to. I hope the Tarceva will work for you; a lot of people here have had good response with it. Come here anytime you need support, have a question or just need to vent. We are old hands (unfortunately) at dealing with all parts of this disease so we want to support you any way we can.

Susan

I was admitted to the hospital last Tuesday for fluid on my heart which was drained, about a liter. It has not helped my shortness of breath. My scans have come back worse and they have determined there is not much else they can do for me. They have discontinued my treatments and are sending my home tomorrow with hospice. My cancer, unfortunately, seems to be very aggressive. We are going to try some homeopathic treatments and nutrition at home. Modern medicine doesn't seemed to have helped, so gotta go another route. If you have any ideas, please shoot them my way in regard to homeopathic ideas. Thanks for your support and prayers.

Cyrus,

I'm so very sorry to hear about your diagnosis at such a young age with a new baby. Many thoughts and prayers for you. I hope you are on oxygen and advair to help with your breathing. You might want to inquire about a nebulizer also.

I hope the doctors reconsider another approach to treat you, if you choose to continue. My husband also had very aggressive cancer and a lot of it, but we kept switching up treatments to try to stay ahead. He too had growth while on Tarceva. He had severe shortness of breath -- I well understand your comment about doing the stairs once per day. It's a struggle every time you need to move. I'm so sorry, this breaks my heart as I know how difficult it is for you. Did they say if the drained fluid was malignant?

I dearly hope that you will have plenty of time with that new baby and your wife. We are all here for you and unfortunately have plenty of knowledge. Please feel free to keep posting as we will support you whatever may come. God bless you and your family.

Hugs and prayers,

Welthy

Cy~

I am a IIIB'er also, and this summer seemed just not doable many days. I read a book by Bill Henderson, Your Guide to Gentle, Non-toxic Healing. I am presently on 20 Green Supreme tabs. a day. Barley in high doses will put ypur body in an alkaline state and Ca can not survive in that enviorment.

Congrats on the new addition to the Family~ DAD!

Hang in there, please keep us posted. Prayers out to your wife too to keep her strength.

Mary

Cy-

Just wanted to let you know that you, your wife and your little baby will be in my thoughts and prayers. Remember to never give up - many people here have reached remarkable milestones despite what their docs told them. Please keep us posted!!

Hugs - Patti B