severe squamus cell carcinoma dysplasia in left lung

pattimarzano

Hello

I'm new and have been diagnosed with severe squamus cell carcinoma dysplasia of the left lung. I'm not exactly sure what that means and am awaiting a contact from an oncologist. I have a small tumor in the lower left side of my left lung and it is growing. I have Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension and Right Heart Failure, and Scleroderma so chemo or radiation isn't an option, nor is surgery. I know nothing of cancer. I've been trying to deal with the other illnesses when this was found. I am 59 years old and have a pretty good attitude. I don't let myself think about the fear too much because I actually feel great at this point. Well....as great as you can feel with 3 life threatening illnesses :o).

I have been eating and drinking only fresh fruit and veggies, mostly juiced, lots of soy and mega amounts of green leafy veggies. That seems to be what most of my internet investigation points to. I would love it if someone would just give me some hope, or some idea of what is ahead for me. I need peers at this point that can relate to where I am.

we can cover the whole range of things here. You name it, we probably have it and more!! Lots of compassio and understadng and Prayers and Knowledge You will get more resonses tomorrow as it is Sunday. IF you ge a ane take a look at the insirational and good news forums. There is Lots of Hope in these two forums. Then when you get one you amy want to peruse our Nutritional Forum for gret dfiet and supplement tips from Ernie. He isa great guy here also and I am sure will show up to welcome you as Enrol. Thats about all for now. OH WAIT A MINUTE!!

You can ask our resident Onologist in Ask the expert forum about your diagnosis while waiting for Oncologist appointment. His site can be accessd fromour site and is also Free. Dr. West is a Liensd Oncologist at Swedish institute in Washinton State and he is very courteous and Prompt in his responses.

Sayin a Prayer for Ya under the Carolina Full moon tonite and Send Big Hugs to Help out for Now and Welcome to the groupno one wants to join but is glad they did!!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. It seems that no Oncologist wants to deal with me. First, no insurance. Then, the other illnesses, RHF, Scleroderma, PAH are more serious than this or so they say. I've begun intense alternative treatment with foods, herbs etc etc. My PAH doc is still trying to get one of her colleagues to see me, so we'll see where that ends up. I'll keep you posted.

I just had my 60th B-day and since I've started all raw foods and veggies, I feel pretty good! Actually I haven't felt this good in over a year. Maybe there is something to this.

• 3 months later...

I had a second biopsy done and this time it came back non small cell carcinoma. I still haven't seen an oncologist yet. This waiting is really getting to me. I have no insurance so I've gone into this on the indigence program. I am so depressed I can hardly drag myself out of bed. Once I'm up and moving it gets better. I wake in the middle of the night with all the stinkin thinkin going on in my head so I'm tired all the time. I'm just tired.

I am sorry I missed your original post. Several members here that have had issues with insurance and getting treatment have been helped by the Lance Armstrong Foundation. You could also contact your local American Cancer Society to see if they can help you get an appointment with an oncologist. I am assuming with your other medical issues you are on SSD and eligible for Medicaid?

If you haven't done it yet, go to onctalk.com and ask about treatment options. There are trials with Tarceva and other new oral drugs you may be eligible for and those are free.

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Rochelle

Patti - I am so sorry you are having so much trouble. It angers me so much that when we should all be using our energy to get well, we have to waste so much of our energy worrying about the bills. Hopefully some of Rochelle's ideas will be helpful to you. As for the sleep - maybe some others will give ideas for that also. I find that sleeping with my ipod helps - it keeps the silence out! Also - try to keep reminding yourself of your quote - If God leads me to it

He'll lead me through it. I LOVE that - thank you for it!

I think dysplasia means precancerous.

You did say there is a tumor there in though.

I am not sure how an onc can turn you down. I think there are laws out there that require a Dr to see you. I guess go to an emergency room if you have to.

I found this site that might explain your situation.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... d99657c292

Biological features of bronchial squamous dysplasia followed up by autofluorescence bronchoscopy

Hidehisa Hoshino, a, Kiyoshi Shibuyaa, Masako Chiyoa, Akira Iyodaa, Shigetoshi Yoshidaa, Yasuo Sekinea, Toshihiko Iizasaa, Yukio Saitoha, Masayuki Babaa, Kenzo Hiroshimab, Hidemi Ohwadab and Takehiko Fujisawa, , a

a Department of Thoracic Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, 1-8-1 Inohana, Chuo-ku, Chiba 260-8670, Japan

b Department of Basic Pathology, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan

Received 30 December 2003; Revised 31 March 2004; accepted 15 April 2004. Available online 2 July 2004.

Abstract

Some dysplasias in the bronchial epithelium are thought to be precancerous lesions that can develop into squamous cell carcinomas. In this investigation, we assessed the biological behavior of bronchial squamous dysplasia in order to define which dysplasias have the potential to progress to squamous cell carcinoma. Using autofluorescence bronchoscopy, we followed up periodically localized dysplasias and examined for correlation between histological outcome and smoking status during the follow-up period, telomerase activity, Ki-67 labeling index, and p53 immunoreactivity of initial biopsy specimens. Ninety-nine dysplasias from 50 participants mainly with sputum cytology suspicious or positive for malignancy were followed up. Of 99 dysplasias, 3 dysplasias progressed to squamous cell carcinoma, 41 dysplasias remained as dysplasia, 6 dysplasias changed to metaplasia, 14 dysplasias changed to hyperplasia, and 35 dysplasias regressed to bronchitis or normal bronchial epithelium. There were no significant associations between histological outcome and smoking status. Mean initial telomerase activity and Ki-67 labeling index values in the dysplasias increased in proportion to the severity of the histological outcome at the second biopsy. There was also a significant difference between p53-positive and p53-negative dysplasia in terms of histological outcome at the second biopsy. Our results suggested that dysplasias with high telomerase activity, increased Ki-67 labeling index, and p53-positivity tended to remain as dysplasia and might have the potential to progress to squamous cell carcinoma. Patients with dysplastic lesions with these characteristics should be carefully followed up.

Author Keywords: Squamous dysplasia; Telomerase activity; Ki-67 labeling index; p53 immunoreactivity; Autofluorescence bronchoscopy

Patti, You might want to start a NEW TOPIC and thread in the NSCLC/MESOTHELIOMA forum or in the GENERAL Forum or in the LC SURVIVORS Forum rather then adding onto the one you have in the Introduce Yourself Forum. This way others will see your post and you'll get a lot more helpful information. If you just keep adding on to an old message, people tend to pass it over thinking it's and old message.

:wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Patti-

Welcome from one Patti to another!! So sorry you have to be here. Its sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now. It just angers me so much that our health care system is what it is today in this country!!!

Have you tried contacting medicaire, or social security for any financial assistance. I do know we have some hospital in this area that MUST take you whether you have insurance or not. I also know that someone posted on onc.talk about this problem (maybe it was you) the other day and Dr. West was going to contact the resident social worker over there to address this exact problem.

I do hope that things begin to turn around for you. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs - Patti B.