Lung nodule

GAYLEE53

Hi Gaylee,

Welcome to the board. I'm sorry to hear of your nodule - the waiting and not knowing is so hard! I believe two months is WAY too long for the PET scan. We had a similar situation with my mom - and after making some proactive phone calls, got the testing and appointments moved up. There was recently a post about 'Being your own advocate' under the LC Survivors forum from Max L - you may want to check that out. Bottom line - don't be afraid to make some calls and get the scan moved up.

I'm sure others here will be chiming in soon. Best wishes that the scan is moved up and you hear the words 'no cancer'. But if that's not the case, please know you've found a great group here.

Please keep us posted.

Hi Gaylee and welcome. Try to relax. It's hard under these circumstances, but take a deep breath and try. Lots of people have small nodules in their lungs that are nothing. They need to be followed carefully, just in case they are more than "nothing." I'm guessing that the nodule is small or your doctor might have suggested a fine needle biopsy. If I were you, I'd push to have the PET sooner, because you're going to worry until you get the results. Are you seeing a pulmonologist or a primary care physician? Sometimes you have to be pretty assertive to get the care that you want/need.

Let us know what happens when you call to reschedule the appointment for an earlier date.

Muriel

Gaylee,

Welcome, I agree with Don. Before they start treatment they would probably want to do a biopsy. If it is too small to do a biopsy then waiting for the PET scan might make since. They would be able to see if it is getting bigger. I would ask them how big the nodule is. If it is only a few millimeters then it is too small to do a biopsy. If you have questions about why he is waiting, ask him. He should be willing to tell you. Keep us posted.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Hello and welcome to the nodule watchers club.. :?:wink: The waiting really is the hardest part. I would certainly push for the PET unless, like Don said, it is much smaller than 1cm. PET really isn't very accurate with lesions under 1cm. MANY nodules(according to Mayo Clinic, as many as 98% of nodules smaller than 1cm!) are found to be benign upon biopsy. Those are pretty good odds that this will turn out to be something else!

I have a TON of nodule info if you need more. :roll: In the meantime...DEEP breath...try to relax. Your gonna be just fine! Feel free to PM anytime if ya need to talk the "scaries" away! :wink:

Yours in HOPE! (& watch)

Stacey

thanks to all of you who posted information! It makes me feel a bit better to know I'm not alone. I had the PET scan moved to next week. The nodule is 9mm and I'm still short of breath.

I think I will find a doc at Cleveland Clinic since I live close to there; should it be a pulmonologist?

Hi again, Gaylee!

I'm glad you got that appt. moved up. 9mm is still pretty small, but from what I've read, PET can pick up nodules as small as 7-8mm, I think...not that it reliably does, mind you. But I think it will give you a great deal of peace of mind if no uptake is seen. And even if it does show uptake, many other things like infection, inflammation, etc. show uptake, as well.

As far as a doc...yup, I would find a pulmonologist. They are the lung experts, and will be able to best address the SOB (shortness of breath, that is.. :wink: )

Most importantly, know you are NOT alone! There are many "watchers" here, and while a nerve wracking experience, we are HERE, huh? Hang in there!

Yours in HOPE!

Stacey

Hello everyone,

I will be seeing a pulmonologist at Cleveland Clinic 1/4/08; that was the soonest I could get in. I'm so concerned, and, you're all correct....waiting is the hardest part!

I am so fatigued; I guess that's stress kicking in.

Thanks for all the support!

I have been dealing with nodules for over 4 years. You can read my profile below.

My 1st nodule was 4mm then went up to 6mm then to 5mm then to 7mm and up and down the last 4+ years. I now have 3 nodules that are all under 4mm at this time. They found my nodule via CT scan. I don't know that a 9mm nodule would cause shortness of breath though. We've had these discussions in the past here at LCSC and I have not heard of being sob from 3mm, 4mm, 5mm,6mm,7mm, 8mm, 9mm, nodule.

Take a deep breath (easy for me to say) :wink: and keep us posted on what they find. Are you a lung cancer survivor now? Have you ever had lung cancer or any other kind of cancer before? It helps us to know so we can better help you.

We just watch my nodules every 4 months via CT scans. So far they haven't caused me anything to panic over yet. :wink:

Shortness of breath can also be caused from Heart issues or other lung issues as well.

Hi and welcome,

I know the waiting is hard but I'm glad the PET scan was moved up. By all means have the biopsy if it is big enough to do this. They need to know the type cancer their dealing with so it can be treated properly.

Keep us posted, and we will be praying for you and your family.

Denise

• 13 years later...

Hi everyone,

I don't know if this forum is still active. I just got a result that there's a 9mm nodule and a 2mm nodule on my right upper and lower lobe from a CT scan. I am 41. This is scary... what should I do next? I am requesting for a pulmonologist or medical oncologist. 

Should I have the 9mm biopsied? Do nodules go away if they are not cancerous? 

Thanks.

Kathy

Hi, Ocean, and welcome.

There are lots of reasons for lung nodules and most are not cancer. They tend to be scar tissue resulting from old infections, etc. 

That said, some ARE cancer. 2 mm and 9 mm are very small--most likely too small to biopsy. It's a bit too soon to consult an oncologist, but a pulmonologist is the expert in all things lung-related. Typically with nodules that size, they would have you come back in a few months to see if there are any changes. Also, sometimes the appearance of the nodule will provide clues--my first nodule was "spiculated," which made it suspicious for cancer. When/if it becomes suspicious, you'd probably be referred to a surgeon for a consult.

Again, though, at this point I'd make an appointment with a pulmonologist to make a plan for going forward. How was the nodule discovered? Did you have imaging for something else?

Kathy, Lexie gives you wise advice. As she says, 2 and 9 mm are very small. I have a stable 6 mm apical nodule in my right lung that is too small for a PET scan to characterize. My oncologist is just watching it with my regular 3-month scans. But you should definitely see a pulmonologist. 

Kathy

Could you repost this as a new topic in the Introduce yourself section? I think you will get more reads and you will also start a string of your own that will build a chronology.

Agree with the other comments. Please keep us posted...and welcome

Peace

Tom