New-Almost a year Still lost

Kristynlg15

Hi Everyone,

I recently got an email from this site (which i forgot that i had registered to) and came to realize that all of you are who have been helping my mom get through this. I can't thank all of you enough for being there for her in ways that i couldnt.

My grandmother has been gone since Jan 13 2007 and im afraid that it hurts more now than the day she left. People have told me it gets better with time...im having a hard time believing it. Its only getting harder. Ive also heard the typical "she was old, thats what happens" And needless to say, that response doesnt help much either. I still have 3 grandparents and hearing "thats what happens" makes me dread the future more.

I think people expect it to be hard losing a parent, or a sibling, or a child. But no one ever talks about how hard it is to lose a grandparent. I feel like a nutcase 100% of the time. The only time i can hold myself together is if i have to be around people. And even then, i keep to myself just so i wont risk losing it.

Why is it that all of the other kids seem to be moved on..and im stuck. :evil:

I think it is different personalities that make a difference. Each of us are different and loss affects us unlike it does others. As for it getting harder, I think that is because for the first year it still doesn't seem real. You keep expecting to wake up and find it was all a nightmare. Then you hit that one year mark and realize that you will not wake up from this nightmare because it is real.

Hope you can find some joy in the Christmas season. I'm sure you have more family who need your company and attention no matter how hard it is.

I was devastated to lose my grandparents too. It's been quite a long time for me, but I never stopped missing them. Or when I thought I had, something would crop up and bring the emotions back. "Death" happens to us all, but that reality doesn't make you miss anyone less.

I'm so sorry you are hurting so much. I can understand because I was very close to my grandparents. It was so very hard to lose them. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have been close to their grandparents and perhaps that is the difference between you and some of your friends. I just know that when you care about someone who holds a special place in your heart and then they are taken away from you... it hurts. In time, the pain will become less intense, but most likely the memories will become more precious and help to give you comfort. God Bless.

Sue

Hi Kristy,

I guess that depends how close you were to your grandmother. She was probably like a mom to you and a big supporter like a mom.

You are lucky to have 3 more. I only one and I did not like her but I was only 12 when she passed.

I envy you as I did not have that experience of having one so close to love and that I could confide in.

I pray in time you will feel better. I know she would not want you to be unhappy.

I'm sorry for your pain....Peace be with you.

Maryanne