Sick

beckyg

In my world, and this was true long before cancer, a cold is never a head cold. I get stopped up in the nose for a day or maybe two, and then it all runs down the back of my throat and the coughing begins. You know how on the bottles of cough medicine, it always says, "See your doctor if cough lasts more than 5 days" or something like that. In my world, coughs linger 6 to 8 weeks. I have no sympathy for people who cough for 5 days and are done with it. I have broken ribs from coughing.

However, all that was before radiation. Now I couldn't breathe before that cold started. Now I am back to using the oxygen a lot of the time because I cough so hard and long I end up hyperventilating. I have been coughing for two weeks now, and so have my husband and daughter. Every time I breath in, unless I have just had a particularly productive coughing fit, I hear my breath creaking in my chest--I can just imagine the air I am taking in forcing stuck-together parts to open up. I have a parpetually bad taste in my mouth. Pregnancy left me with mild strss incontinece, which is easy to deal with if you are not coughing ALL the time, but as it is, I am gaining intimate knowledge of what a diaper rash feels like, in spite of the Poise pads.

Well, I haven't coughed the whole time I have been ranting about this cold, so maybe if I crawl back in bed, I'll be able to sleep. Seems like I might be pushing my luck.

Becky

Boy Becky I feel for you. I hate to be sick but now with John having cancer, I feel I really can't bring anything home to him. I try to be so careful.

Anyway, he also has a cold he got from our daughter. He's been using those Cold-Eeze lozenges and it cut in right down. He only had a couple of days where he was really coughing. They work by coating the virus in your throat with zinc so it can't grow and it dies faster and shortens the length of your cold. Someone told me they have a zinc nasal spray now too (not sure of the brand).

I hope you feel better soon.

Becky,

You need to stock up on zinc lozenges, vitamin c, and disinfectant hand lotion! I hate that you have a cold on top of your already difficult breathing situation. Having a 3 year old in day care, not to mention being around a bunch of colege students can reek havoc on one's immune system.

Take care and get well!

Cheryl

Becky,

Like you I've had problems with lung congestion LONG before I was diagnosed with cancer. I've found a compination of Vics Sinex 12hr and Albutoral (rx) loosens everything up and allows me to not cough quite so much. Also, tylonal or Ibuprofen helps relieve the throat "ichiness" that often brings on a coughing attack.

Good luck with whatever you find!

Dean

Becky,

I hope you feel better real soon. I truly do.

In addition to what good advice has already been posted, I want you to know that there is a throat spray called Chloraseptic that numbs the tickles that make you cough so you can get to sleep. Doesn't help anything else, but it does tame the tickles and let you get some rest.

Wish I could chase that virus right outta there!!

MaryAnn

Ry--I finally got some of the Cold-Eeze yesterday and have been sucking on it every few hours since. I don't know if it is helping, but they don't taste terrible, and I am game for anything at this point.

I have some Albuterol. I haven't been using it recently because I never can tell that it does anything, but I am back on it today--maybe it will help. Right now the cough isn't so much about "itchy throat"--that's what I have in "normal life"--when my Tessalon perles keep the cough manageable. Now I am just so full of phlegm that I dream I am drowning and sit stragiht up in bed coughing until goo starts coming up. I left a message for the doctor Friday morning; he called in some antibiotics then but forgot to call me to tell me he had done so. So I got them this morning. Maybe they'll help.

Thanks for all your concern and suggestions. Hopefully I'll get a break in the next few days and start feeling better.

Becky

Becky,

I sure hope that the zinc lozenges and the antibiotics work their magic for you, and that you're able to breathe easier very soon. Just make sure you check the antibiotic to insure it isn't one of those you can't take with iron, calcium, zinc, etc. I wish I could remember the list, but I just can't, and I recently lost a lot of files I'd saved on just this kind of thing.

I can relate to almost everything you wrote...especially the walking around with broken ribs because of coughing so hard.. I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. I would make it go away (for all of us) if I could.

The Lizard flies out of here tomorrow...Take care of you..

Fay A.

The cough is finally starting to improve. The breathing is marginally better--I am back to getting around my house without panting. It is taking lots of creative planning to get through class, and even to get TO class--walking that distance is tough right now. But I am waking up fewer times during the night to cough and when I am up during the day it is easier to cough stuff up. First thing in the morning it is still a lot of work to get things to move. But I am crawling out of this hole, and one day, hopefully soon, I'll get to be annoyed again by that tickle in my throat that gives me that annoying dry cough!

Becky