Mom diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV

Lyliana1277

My name is Stacia. My mom was diagnosed in October 2006 with Stage IV metastatic NSCLC at the age of 47. She was never a smoker, and was always healthy. The tumors are small and are in her lungs, spine, and sternum. She has been going through chemo for a little over a year now, and recently started radiation. She was having some pressure in her head, and wanted her doctor to do a brain MRI. The results came back the Monday before Thanksgiving that she has small lesions (less than 20) on her cerebellum, pons, and temporal lobes. This is her 2nd week of radiation and she says she just feels tired, no other real symptoms yet. Her doctor said that it could take up to 3 weeks for symptoms to appear.

Her doctor is remaining positive. She's out of work on disability, so at least that stress is gone. I just keep hoping and praying that she is in that small group of people who can make it through this.

It's so hard sometimes. You never expect your mom to be diagnosed with lung cancer when you're 20. I just get so frustrated with health magazines sometimes. They'll have all of these articles about breat cancer and cervical cancer and colon cancer, but rarely do you hear anything about lung cancer. It just seems like the world is focused on all of the smaller cancers, when one of the biggest ones is staring in our face, unwilling to back down. I understand that the others are just as formidible, but it still frustrates me just the same.

I'm just looking for a place to vent, to find friends, to share, to relate.

I am so very sorry to hear that your mother has this awful disease. Your frustration about the lack of information regarding lung cancer is shared by many people here. I will be praying for your mother and for you also.

Carol

Hi Stacia, welcome to LCSC but I am so sorry you need to be here. You will find so much love,help and support here. It is very sad how much energy and money gets pumped into research for every other cancer and so little into Lung cancer. There have been quite a few posts on that subject here. I wish your mom the best as she goes though treatment. She certainly has a wonderful daughter that obviously cares a great deal. Shelley

Hi Stacia...

It's really hard, I know, to feel *so* young all the sudden when our mom's are hit with this disease. I had just turned 30 and still felt like a small child the moment that we found out. I actually laughed when Mom said "Since you're all grown..." to we kids. Then, to have to be *so* adult about everything that's going on when all you want to do is curl up and be comforted...it's an odd position to be in and I'm glad you found this place as much as I hate that you needed to.

These great folks held my hand (and Mom's as she was part of the board, too) as we walked this journey and you'll not find a group who understand better than here.

Welcome, and let us know if there's anything we can help you with...including just venting!

Prayers for your mom to be one of the ones who responds well and lives a long, healthy life!!!

Hi, Stacia, welcome to the group.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned the OncTalk website. So if you haven't already, I strongly suggest you visit onctalk.com. There's a wealth of information there, primarily on lung cancer, constantly updated by a Seattle oncologist who is an internationally-recognized expert on lung cancer and who gives high priority to promptly answering questions from people like you and me. A lot of us have "dual citizenship" so to speak, and use the same usernames there as here.

Best wishes to you and your mom. Aloha,

Ned

Bad news. Cancer has moved to more of her bones. It's now in her thoracic & lumbar vertebrae, saccrum, pelvis, and glenoid. Has not gone to the liver, so we're staying positive. Will be starting Alimta (?) on January 3, so she gets a little break for the holiday. Does anyone know much about this chemo? She was told by a nurse that the symptoms are less severe than the carbo/taxol. Not sure if she will continue Avastin. Mom's guess is probably not. Will be doing another brain MRI in three months to see how radiation is working.

Keep us in your prayers, and happy holidays to everyone. :)

That sucks - though if you have to have cancer anywhere - it's better to have it in the bones (than anywhere else, at least according to our doc. My mom was on the chemo Alimta, it's not as harsh as carbo/taxol, she had it for a few months, but when it spread to the liver, they put her on gemzar. I've heard good things about Alimta though and I'm hopeful that it will work in your mom. WBR is scary, but it's not the end of the world, my mom had the same issues as yours. She's still doing ok.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble with all of this. My mom has accepted that she may die this year. Nothing is for sure (as it never is with cancer) since she is starting a new treatment this week, but as the cancer progresses, she seems more and more ok with it. She told me that it has just become a way of life.

My problem is that as it progresses, I am less and less ok with it. I guess that I'm still coming to terms with all of this. I just can't imagine my mom not being here.

I just feel useless. I don't see her as much as I would like. I'm so busy working full time and going to school full time, that I never get to make it out to her house (about an hour and a half away) unless I don't have work. I do talk to her just about every day, which helps. I just wish I could do more for her. My step-dad isn't very helpful, and my grandmother (lives down the street from her) ends up needing my mom to take care of her rather than the other way around.

I don't know, it's just a lot to take in all the time.

It is a lot to take in and you don't have to be ok with it. My mom was diagnosed with stage IV NSCLC on Jan 5 of 2007. At the time I didn't think she would see 2008, but she has and she is doing well. I'm praying her treatment stops the progression of your mom's disease and that you will find your way out of the fear.

Susan