Can chemo and radiation really cure 3a?

DawnB

My mom's progress has been really good (see below), but I’m always worried about being overly optimistic, if that makes any sense. I’m kind of a pessimist by nature, really.

Is it possible that she could really be cured by her first line treatment?

Hi, Dawn:

Yes, it's possible, although docs don't normally start using that term until 5 cancer-free years have passed without recurrence. But even before that milestone, say at 4 or even 3 years, recurrence is rather unlikely.

If you're worried about being overly optimistic (I'm the same way), set your sights slightly lower and substitute "remission" for "cure." If it comes back somewhere down the road, you and your mom will be mentally prepared to deal with it again without as much shock and anguish. On the other hand, a remission is open-ended and could last the rest of her life!

Congratulations and Aloha,

Ned

I bounce back and forth all the time between optimism and the world is coming to an end. I think anything is possible when treating cancer and I think it's better if I can do it while at least attempting to smile.

My Mom's Doctor is flabbergasted by her response to treatment at Stage IV, it's not a cure, but it's much more than we were told to expect!!! I know she can't be the only person ever to have those kinds of results!