New here

sferguson

Hi everyone... I have been reading and reading for days now and have to say this forum has helped me to get to this point.

A little background since I'm brand new...

My mom was diagnosed with Small cell lung cancer on December 6th, 2007. All we received was a phone call from the Internal Medicine Doctor who gave us very little explanation other than the fact this was incurable and then gave us the terrible statistics regarding survival. With that information, I began to search, and as I'm sure you all know, found very little positive information. I think I succeeded in scaring the daylights out of myself and most of my family based on the information that I found, but I kept looking and I found you all!!!

Today we met with the oncologist for the first time. He reviewed the CT scans with us and right now, we are hoping it is still limited to her right lung. We are scheduled to do a bone scan on Monday and hoping for the best results. We are set to begin chemo asap. She has been experiencing excruciating pain in her chest, so we are hopeful that the chemo can help to eliminate some of the discomfort. Is this normal? I can't help but worry the bone scan will not turn out well b/c she has so much pain in that area.

It has been hard to keep her positive right now. I'm hoping it is still just the shock and eventually she will become more of a fighter. She is only 49 years old and her biggest concern is never seeing her grandchildren. I have read the information in this forum and found myself in so many other peoples' journeys. You are all a life saver! I am trying to get my mom to get on here because I think the support is just what she needs. I will try to post more often. I just wanted to thank you all and let you know the difference you are making for anyone lucky enough to come across this site. :P

Welcome to our board. If you've been reading here then you know we have several long term survivors of small cell lung cancer. It does respond well to chemo. Let us know what all the tests show and what her treatment plan will be once you know. Make sure you read the sticky post in the sclc forum titled, "how I beat small cell lung cancer" (or something like that) it will help.

Rochelle

Welcome. Glad you found us. 12/6, boy you guys are just starting this journey. I know several long term survivors of SCLC. Besides chemo they also have had brain radiation because that is the first place it spreads. They made it through all the treatment and have been fine for years. Keep us posted

DonnaG

Hi and welcome. My Mom had radiation to her chest and neck the day after diagnosis and her breathing improved and the large node on her neck shrunk before her eyes. Has the oncologist said anything about radiating the chest?

And I wanted to add BOO, HISS to the internal medicine doc for not having more tact. They need better instructions in school about passing on information.

Hi and welcome. When I read your post I realized it was exactly what I had written over a year ago when my Mom was DX. Sept/06-Read everything I could get my hands on-very grim prognosis-but I am here to tell you my Mom is here 15 months later and still doing ok. After being DX and things settle down some you realize this is your "new normal" as we like to call it here. Your life changes forever-for your Mom, you, everyone involved who loves her. When I found this site and saw CINDYRN who had Ext with relapse and still here 6 years-I knew my Mom could be like her and that's all I have done is read my Mom the positive stories-I rarely tell her about anyone who has passed on here-she knows what the statistics are but if we listened to the statistics she would already be gone by now.

Once your Mom starts her treatments and you feel more in control again things should settle down some.

Email me anytime........

Dar

Thank you all for the wonderful support and hope. Today we go in for the bone scan to see what our course of treatment will be. We have been told that if the bone scan comes back clean, we will probably be doing radiation to her right lung and chemo. The doctors are not wanting to do a PET Scan since my mother has no insurance. Does anyone in here know if this is something I should definitely push for? Please let me know. I will keep everyone posted on the results of the bone scan. My thoughts and prayers are with each and every one of you!

Thanks again!

Sundi :?

Sundi:

Of course more information is better, but if there's no insurance coverage and cost is a major factor (as it usually is), this question should be asked: Could the results of a PET scan change the treatment that's currently being planned? If your mom is already scheduled for systemic treatment (chemo), then the answer is probably "no" -- discovering via PET that there is a suspicious area somewhere else in the body would probably not change the treatment, since that possibility is already being addressed by the chemo.

The bone scan is a different matter. If a bone met is found, it might be treated by localized radiation as a side issue, to reduce the possibility of a load-bearing bone fracture or to minimize pain in a specific area.

If you look through my profile below, you'll see that I didn't have a PET scan until October 2007, after I'd completed a full year of treatment for NSCLC IIIB (4 months Taxol/Carboplatin/Avastin plus 8 months Avastin alone). I have standard Medicare, supplemented by Tricare as a military retiree.

This is just my opinion. You may get others. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

• 2 weeks later...

:D

Well, the bone scan came back normal, nothing unusual in the bones as of yet... Also, we have begun the chemo. We started on 12/26 and will then have it each day until the 28th. Then she gets a break. I'm hoping some of the pain she is feeling in her chest will start to ease up a bit. She isn't really feeling any nausia yet, but I'm definitely waiting for that. She is more nervous about throwing up than she is about losing her hair. She makes me smile each and everyday! (When I'm not crying) But it does seem to be getting a little easier. Of course, we have a long road ahead of us, but the shock is finally starting to wear off and now I can help her control this cancer instead of letting the cancer control her. Thanks again for all your wonderful thoughts and prayers. Mine are with you all as well.

Sundi

Hi Sundi,

Just wanted to give you some encouragement. I was diagnosed with limited SC in April, 2002 at age 48. In May I'll be 55! Please don't give up hope. SCLC is tough, but there ARE long term survivors! Please tell your Mom this. Also, Zofran is a very effective anti-nausea drug which prevented me from nausea completely. Ask her dr. about Zofran before her next round of chemo. Keep the faith!

Joanie

I am so sorry I haven't posted until now. This journey is terrible...not really a "journey" really, as that word sounds exciting....something cancer is not. BUT...I do want you to know that there is SO MUCH HOPE out there. My dad is almost a 2 year survivor now...that feels so weird to even type, because it has been a tough two years, but we have made it, and every day we are learning about the new normal.

I see that your mom started chemo. This will be hard, but it will also mean that as the hair starts to fall out, as the tummy starts to feel crummy, as the skin gets dry...that tumor is also shrinking! As many say around here...Die tumor die!! We don't want you around here anymore!

Please know you are welcomed with open arms here, and there is so much to learn, everyday about what you can do to battle this booger!

Please PM me if you have any questions or need an ear (eye). Your mom is so young...which means you probably are too. Don't go this alone.

Blessings,

Jen

Hi Sundi,

Just wanted to welcome you and wish your dear mum well with her treatment.Hope she is still doing well.

I am 9 months along this road with my mum and remember all too well that dreadful shock of those first few weeks - it still hits me sometimes but once treatment is underway you kinda go with the flow and settle down a bit.Its certainly not easy but people here have helped me so much. Even though I do not post much I gain much peace from reading the experiences and thoughts of everyone here.

I hope you do too.

Wishing you strength & best wishes in 2008

God bless

Debbie

Sorry that it has taken me so long to get back on here. Sometimes its a little crazy. Well, Mom made it through the first round of chemo like a champ. She didn't experience any sickness. We all feel very blessed for that. This weekend we decided to cut her hair... We did a short little boy cut. We had been told that will help to ease the shock when it begins to fall out. She looks cute as a button! We have had 4 good days in a row. Her spirit is up and her sense of humor is back. What a wonderful time for us! After 3 months of not knowing what was wrong and then a month of her dealing with the diagnosis, it is wonderful to start to see some of the "Old Mom" coming back. I know that it is silly, but there were days that I wondered if we would ever sit around and laugh again. :-) But thankfully, I see that you do find that new normal. It is always on your mind, but sometimes you can actually look past it for a minute. I do have to say I'm a little nervous. We go to the oncologist this Friday, the 11th for the first chest x-ray since she was diagnosed. I hope for good news. I don't know how she will handle anything but good news. Then we start our 2nd round of chemo on the 16th. So far, she is coming through this with flying colors. She is truly my inspiration right now. In this journey, we have been so fortunate to find so many wonderful people along the way. Cancer is such a terrible thing for all involved, but I do have to say, it has completely changed my outlook on life. You all have been an inspiration to me. Sometimes I can't find the words to type anything out, but just reading helps me to find a little peace sometimes. Thank you all!

I'm so happy to hear that your mom did well with her first chemo. You DO laugh again and while the fear never goes away, it can be put in it's place so that life can continue. My mom has felt better during the year on chemo than she felt the year before diagnosis. She gets out, stays busy with friends and family and we have been able to share some extra special monments with her this year that I believe are even more special now. I wish your mom the very best with her treatment and hope that she has great news with her Chest xray report. Shelley