carboplatin/taxol for sclc

Guest JasonChang

Guest Jonathan

Hi,

This combination is useful in small cell lung cancer, in the second line setting, meaning that he has had 1 chemo regimen alrerady. Usually first line therapy is or at least ought be cisplatin or carbopltin with either camptosar or etoposide. Whichever the oncologist prefers. The only concen i have with giving carboplatin with taxol in the second line setting is that if the patient has already resistant to carbopltin or cisplatin, why give it again. Also, be aware that cisplatin and carboplatin are cousins of each other, so if someone has had cisplatin, and it has failed them, the odds of getting a response to carboplatin is in the 10-15% range. This is why many times oncologists do not use carboplatin and cisplatin as seperate drugs, because they are in a sense the same. So for your case, I guess it all depends on what you have had in the first line setting...

Jonathan

Guest JasonChang

This is going to be used in a third line setting. First line my dad had cisplatin/vp16 for 4 cycles. It worked marvelously, getting rid of the 9cm tumor completely. There was a 1mm residual focus in some of the ct scans, so the oncologist suggest surgery to remove it. My father was NED for about 4 months. We discovered a a few new lesions at his 3 month check up post op. One in the adrenal gland and two more outside of the left long. Second line therapy was topotecan with cytoxan once a week for 3 weeks. He had 2 cycles of this, but at the two month mark it was noted that the tumors all grew. Since my father did have a major response to the cisplatin/vp16, his doc suggested trying carboplatin/taxol. He has the treatment tomorrow, so we will see how it turns out. I'm hoping that the taxol may help overcome any resistance on platinum drugs that may exsist.

Guest Jonathan

Well, yes he most likely will have a response in part because they are using the new drug in the regimen (taxol). However you may want to ask in the future about the use of CPT-11 with gemzar that sounds like another great regiemn that will work well for him.

Jonathan

Guest kate218

Hi all,

I haven't been on in a while. Sometimes I just can't read about it. On the 11th, my Dad had his 1 year anniversary. He is in the hospital now because his sugar was wacked and his blood so thin he had puprle blotches on his skin. Blood is good, but sugar still wacky. He now has to follow a diabetic reg. It seems that there is always another page. Everytime you start to exhale, you get kicked in the gut again. But the good news is that the Taxol is working. The spots on the liver have shrunken, shrinked shranked, however you say it. Buthe can't go back for chemo until the sugar is good. It seems the steroids that they give with the taxol can flip out the sugar. It isn't bad enough that you are taking this butt kicking chemo, right?! They aren't giving him cisplatin with it. He gets benendryl because it can cause a reaction. I just hope that his few weeks away from chemo won't give the cancer momentum again.

Natalie, thank you again for the medal He wears it with his other medals. He calls them his angels. You are an angel.

Kate