cat127 Posted December 21, 2007 Share Posted December 21, 2007 the results of my sister's PET showed no new sites, no activity in the lymph nodes, but residual activity in the tumor. i knew a CR was a long shot, but it didn't hurt to hope! med onc then said - back to the surgeon and if he is on the fence about operating, you need to press him to tell you why! plain and simple, both med and rad onc were always "if surgery is an option, take it". we were certainly happy to have the nodes not light up and to have nothing new seen. i tried to subtly let my sister know that it wasn't going to be black and white, that if the surgeon felt that she was a candidate, then we would have a lot of new information to process, things for me to explain to her, before she feels she knows enough to make a big decision. well i think she and my b-i-l were expecting the surgeon to be as gung ho as the two oncs, and he was not. in reality, i don't think he was as negative as they thought he was, but he wasn't the same as the oncs were. which i would not expect him to be and i think showed me he is a very circumspect guy and wants her to have all the info she needs to decide. surgery is back on the table, with the caveat that while in the OR they'd biopsy the nodes and if signs of cancer in them they'd stop and with the comment that he is less comfortable with the location of the tumor than he is with the state of the nodes, and it is possible when he gets in there that he won't be able to get clean margins with a 'lobotomy' as my sister calls it, and he won't do a pneumonectomy. so then again he'd stop and close if the lobectomy won't do it. my sister was quite distraught after the meeting and much more unsure of what to do. i think she may have more questions as it sinks in, i did answer the few she had later last night. i've told her to carry a notebook and write down the thoughts and questions and anything she wants clarified and i can answer them or i can get a co-worker to answer them for me, but i'll get her an answer. i called the med onc and left a voicemail for him to call me and to ask him if i can bring her back to him to talk to him now that she feels so uncertain after the surgeon. i offered to find her a second opinion surgeon too, though again i think she's got a great one and was thrilled to see that dr west agreed with me when i posted on his board. i think i may send her here, so far she's been comfortable not knowing, as our brother calls it, the 'nuts and bolts' of things, and letting me be the one who knows things and tells her when she asks. she has had no desire to get on the internet yet and see what is out there. but i think coming here and hearing from folks who have had a lobectomy could help her, though most here who have seem to have been earlier stage, but still, you are the folks who can talk about the recovery period. as i told her, i know a heck of a lot about drugs, a bit about radiation, and not much about surgery. if i do get her online, i'll be sure to post to let those of you out there who can give her some input know. but thanks for just letting me sound off a bit too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.