Recovery from left lung lobectomy

Max L

I had the VAT surgery to remove lobe on left lung 12/7 and will not need further treatment for lung cancer which makes me very happy. This said, I am still experiencing pain and am curious as to how long this pain after the surgery lasts. Have been great the last few days, but today not so hot. Am taking pain medication and it does help. Also am having a problem with some ankle swelling and an enlarged heart, but this probably was happening prior to the lung cancer, but I was not too much aware of it. Anyway, in general, other than the pain, I am feeling fairly well. Gotta go. Inez and I wish you all a very happy and healthy New Year. Stay positive and keep fighting.

Hi Max!

I had a pneumonectomy and it seems like the worst pain was there for about 6 weeks. Then for me things started looking up - very slowly though. I still have some numbness and nerve pain in my chest even after 3 3/4 years. I think I even slept in a recliner for the first 2-3 months because it hurt to lay down on the bed.

I was told to let my doc know if I started experiencing the pain getting worse after it was getting better.

Does your doc know about the swelling you are having? If not, you should touch base with him just in case they need to check into it further.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

Wendy

HI WENDY

It is certainly good to know I am not alone. Pain pretty bad this morning for a short time, and now is much better. Interesting, but we just had a Lazy Boy recliner delivered this morning and I slept in it immediately. Both the surgeon and my cardiologist know about the swelling and also the enlarged heart, which is the scariest part to me. The cardiologist has me on diuretics and I have lost approx. 5 pounds. Do not know if anything can be done about the heart. It is probably caused by both my heart disease and anemia. Sounds like I am a mess, but still plodding along. Do not have any other choice but to stay positive and keep fighting, which Inez and I do continually. Thankyou for your input and your caring. Hope you stay well and out of any further pain. Have a happy and healthy new year.

Hi Max, You had VATs though-I thought that wouldn't hurt as much...does it hurt when you take a big breath?

Sounds like it comes and goes. Could the pain be coming from heart instead? Does it go away with nitro or rest?

I still have some pain but have the old fashioned LC scar down the back.

There's much you can do for your heart via diet and exercise. Cardiac rehab classes cover both diet and exercise. I really learned a lot in cardiac rehab. Your family doc could refer you.

Salt is soooo bad and it is in almost everything

.... especially restaurant food.

Have you had ejection fraction measured? My EF actually went back to normal range after rehab.

Barb

Max,

I like your approach to all of this. I think you and Inez have something productive and positive in motion.

I can share that my husband (right bilobectomy)had intermittent periods of greater and less pain for about 4 weeks and (you got it!) ended up sleeping and kind of living in a recliner for 5-6 weeks. It seemed to help a lot.

God Bless - you are going to do fine:)

MC

Hi Barb, Ned and everyone else. Had a rough morning but the rest of the day has been pain free. Took a nap in my new recliner for 3 hours....was great. Barb, it does not hurt when I breathe in. I did have a bypass in 1991, so have been going to rehab ever since and have been watching my diet. I will be seeing both my cardiologist and thoracic surgeon again soon. Considering being a prostate cancer survivor, having VAT surgery for lung cancer, along with heart disease, diabetis, anemia and very low tetesterone, and now an enlarged heart, think I am darn lucky that I am doing as well as I am. Was not easy staying positive the last day or so, but Inez and I are doing our very best to be positive and to keep fighting. We are both so fortunate to have such great support that we must keep a positive attitude. All take care and stay well and have a happy and healthy new year. Am off to bed, first than maybe the recliner.

Good to hear that you are slowly but surely recovering from your surgery. I bought a LazyBoy after my surgery. I went all out and got the one with the vibrating heat massage. I have found that I put more than a few pounds on me. It can become very addictive, but it is soooooooo nice.

Take care and Happy New Year to you and your wife.

Carol

Hi Max ~

Just checking up on you two...I'm sorry to hear about the pain issues, though. :( Hopefully, each day will get a little better. I'm reminded of our dear Debi - I think she likened it to being hit by a fleet of big-rigs...but everyday there was one less truck.... :shock:

Wishing you & Inez a BETTER 2008! I know you have family in the area, but if you need anything, please holler! :wink:

Gentle hugs & well wishes!!

Stacey

Hi Carol...Love the recliner, but am trying to lose weight so will have to be careful. Feeling great today..Even went to movie, saw Charlie Wilson's War. Fantastic movie. Amazed Congress and the Admninistration ever let any of this be shown, as they like to keep everything behind closed doors. Still concerned about shortness of breath as not sure whether it has to do with anemia, enlarged heart of missing lobe, probably all three. Have a great new year Carol and stay as healthy and as positive as possible.

Hi Max

I had my upper left lobe removed in September by VAT's. Didn't notice a big improvement in the first 4 or 5 weeks but noticeabe improvements daily afterward. Still has some shortness of breath but I think that may be a matter of educating myself to slow down. Still try to go at the same pace as pre-surgery. I found exhaling hurt more than inhaling.I stated adjuvant chemo. last week.