Did you change your life?

Ry

I was cleaning out our home office and I found a book about surviving cancer that someone sent John. It wasn't the greatest book but the main theme was about people that did something dramatic after their illness and went on to either beat their disease or outlive their prognosis.

I got to thinking about it and I think one of reasons John was able to keep going was he went back to making pottery and doing something he loved. So I am wondering what changes people made in their lives after diagnosis.

I suppose the biggest thing for me was realizing that what I had thought to be some of the more important things in my life...didnt really count for jack....family first last and always.I'm on disability now and am playing Mr.Mom to the most precious 9 year old in the world. It cost me a lung to get this opportunity..and ya know what? Just might be worth it.

Yes, we changed a lot. We moved from the outskirts of town where we had a big new house to the middle of the city so we could be close to my parents. Our house went from 2500 s.f. to 1600 s.f. We sold one of our cars and got something cheaper. My husband used to work a 2nd job so I could stay home with the kids. When I was diagnosed, he immediately quit so he would be home more for us. Overall, I'm happy to be "in-town" again, happy to have my husband home more, and we're making it without the 2nd job. Now -I'm not saying I'm happy I got LC to motivate me to make these changes. I'm never going to embrace the silver lining of my disease - I hate my disease. But we did make some big changes that were important.

What a great topic for a new year. After his diagnosis, Bill started writing again with a passion -- and probably the most meaningful writing he'd ever done. He was an absolutely gifted and beautiful writer. The fact that he was writing again, he considered a miracle. Previously, all of those seemingly important things (like making money, working on the house, etc.) took priority.

I may have made small changes. I think I appreciate life more now than I would otherwise. I am closer to my family. One of my pleasures is to go to family events and take video. I use high definition video and I bult a computer to handle it.

Don M

Everything changed, my outlook on life, my priorities, my love of my everyone in my family, making amends with myself. I too have been on disability for 6 months now and have enjoyed every bit of it, I have gotten back into crafts and sewing, just recovered the living room suite did it all at my own pace, I don't always feel good everyday but at the end of the day I am thankful to still have what I have. Great subject.