lung cancer help

Hi my name is Bridget

My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 3b nsclc. He also has cardiomyopathy which makes his diet somewhat restricted. He went through 2 rounds of chemo and they did a ct and there were no changes, nothing was spreading but the tumor hasn't shrunk. The tumor is too large for radiation and they think the radiation from his cancer 15 years ago is what caused this cancer. I was hoping that some one who has been through lung cancer would just give me some hope, it's so scary. I don't know what to do to help him eat, he's lost so much weight. They're giving him chemo every week for two weeks then one week off. I'm trying to be strong for him, and it's just so hard. Any advice I would be grateful for.

Thank you

Bridget

Welcome Bridget. It is scary - for survivors and their family and friends. It does get a little better as time goes on, tho. Don't give up hope. Maybe a couple more treatments with the drugs he's on now will make a difference. If not, there a many others to try. Maybe you can get him to eat small amounts of food throughout the day. I found that ice cream, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, oatmeal, and Cheerios (not all together, of course) were tolerable during chemo. Keep in touch with us and let us know how is he getting along.

Muriel

Thanks Mureil,

It sounds like you have been though alot yourself. How do you get through it? I don't how you do it. For the past couple of months I've been trying to be strong for my husband, he doesn't like to see me upset, and this past weekend it's just all falling apart on me. I know there is hope, I just need some help getting my self back to being strong for him.

Like I said I'm just falling apart and having a hard time being strong when he needs me too. It's just so hard too see someone go through this. I'm so sorry for every one that has to have this. I wish I could take all the cancer away. Sorry to be such a mess.

Welcome Bridget. Don't get too tied up in the first results as everyone reacts differently. SOme early, some late. AND there are many different things that they can try that may work better for your husband if the need be. One thing you don't realize now, and neither did I at the time, Stable is a good thing, at least IMO. Hang in there and hopefully they'll find what works.

Welcome Bridget~

There is a powdered high calorie supplement called Weight Gainer (or something similar) that you can get at a health food store to get extra calories in his food. Another good product is Carnation Instant Breakfast between meals (make it with whole milk) to add vitamins and calories. It tastes better than Ensure. Also make sure he gets lots of fluids, dehydration will cause him to lose his appetite. I know it's hard-- try to take care of yourself too.

Rochelle

Hello and Welcome!

I am so sorry to hear of your husbands lung cancer. The diagnosis is very scary and hard to deal with. There is hope for someone with lc though.

I am a 3 & 10 month survivor of IIIa. In the 4 years that lung cancer has touched my life, I think there have been at least 3 new drugs approved to treat lc. Many survivors are living with lc and are being treated as if the lc is a chronic disease.

There are many inspiring stories here at lchelp. Spend some time reading peoples profiles or the section of my stories - they always give me alot of hope.

When I was going through my initial treatments, I lost about 20 pounds. My doc had me start eating every 2-3 hours. I did enjoy eating shakes.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted on how you both are doing,

Wendy

Thank you all for your support and stories. I've read some of them and some are inspirational!!! Some are very sad.

My husband was not able to get his chemo today, his red blood cells are too low. The doctor did prescibe a medicine to increase his appetite. He also has cardiomyopathy, that makes his diet somewhat restricted. He's a 15 year survivor of lymphoma, so I just keep the faith that he can do it again.

Thank you all so much for everything!

Hi Bridget - I'm so sorry for your husband's diagnosis, but welcome from a fellow Illinoisian! I I hope he decides to get treatment at one of the Comprehensive Cancer Care Centers in the area. Rush (Dr Phil Binomi) and Evanston Northwestern (Dr Tom Hensing) have some of the BEST oncologists when it comes to lung cancer in Chicago. I did TONS of research and interviewed many docs in the area. Just an FYI in case you are still looking. Take care and sending good wishes your way.

Hi Bridgett!!

Hang in there and have hope. I was originally dx stage IIIB and given a ver poor prognosis. I AM CANCER FREE and going on 3 years survival! There are many long term survivors here!!!Treatment has come a long way for lung cancer ( not far enough) and can be treated as a chronic disease. Continue to be a strong advocate for your husband and get a 2nd opinion or 3rd if necessary.

God BLess You on this journey!!

Jamie

Hi Bridget,

Welcome here but so sorry you had to find us.

You seem to have the right attitude and that will help you get through this.

There are many here who were also diagnoised with IIIB and are doing fine years later. So never give up hope!! There are so many treantments now of days that is one does not work then they will try another.

When you get a chance please add a profile (top of page My Profile) go to signature and type in his diagnosis. That will appear on the bottom of your posts. Type in his stage and what treatments he had or is going through.

We are always here for questions and support.

I know the feeling you have watching him being so sick. It SUCKS big time and you feel so helpless watching him going through this. But this will pass. He should be fine after he finishes treatments as far as appitite and the hurt feeling that comes a couple of days after the chemo treatments.

Please keep us informed of his progress.

Hang strog.... you can do this. We will help you through it.

Maryanne