quiz... where you are from/worked for me

Maryanne

you know those little stickers they have for cars now, with things like OBX for the outer banks of NC and other areas? well there is one that says N@ and my niece and i, who both live in the DC area, are desperate for them. there is another that says YNZR or something like that, as in yinz-er since yinz, a contraction apparently of you ones (??) is a big pittsburgh-ese word. that's good, but we love the N@ one the best.

Oh yes, yinz is a lot like youse. Sadly, youse sounds better than yinz. :)

The N@ thing refers to another Pittsburghese word, which is I guess a contraction of And That, so it sounds like anat. Or N and the at symbol. :) It is often said at the end of a sentence - "Yinz want to go out, we can get some hoagies and pop, anat".

And again I have to say, LOVE MY HOMETOWN. I kid because I love.

I think there is only one guy selling the N@ symbols and he is in Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh. I intend to go looking when I'm home for Kelly's surgery. Then I can promise at least two more of them will be driving around the DC area!

Hope your brother is enjoying DC, great week to be here given how beautiful out it has been. I've gone running most days just because I knew I had to spend some time enjoying the lovely weather before it goes away again!

Ha! Maryanne -- only a few hours makes a world of difference. If you head 2 hours south of Chicago, it's a whole different rural speak.

We use the word "pop", but sometimes say "Soda Pop". Maybe because Tony was from outside Philly, we adopted some of his speak. Ooooh -- cross breeding languages! :shock:

For some "stinkin'" reason, it says I'm from the South.... :shock:

Dadgummit... it's probably because of the time I admitted to eatin' possum ~(without the "o" in front), and gator meat.... :oops:

That was fun, thanks.

(I still like to hear Harry and Nyka say "sneakers", instead of tennis shoes! :D )

:wink: