Harry's scan results

Nova

The results weren't good.

He has several Mets on his liver now. (No more "limited" SCLC).

He also has another tumor in his lung, and a lot more fluid surrounding the main tumor.

The doctor gave him a couple of choices.

One is a type of chemo that starts with a "T".(Tope-??-can?).

He said that he didn't recommend that though, because Harry has such bad reactions to chemo meds, and that one is known to drop blood counts quickly.

The other is the one that starts with a "C", and has the number "11" in it,~~ I think. (I'm sorry.... my brain is in shock.) It causes severe diarrhea.

The last option was Hospice. Poor Harry.... He didn't even know what Hospice was.

The doctor was trying to say something to him about them controlling the pain, and I think Harry finally "got" what he meant, and said that he wasn't ready for that yet. He stood up and said he was done, and that it was time to go. I had to talk him into staying to hear the rest of what the doctor had to say. :cry:

I feel so sick in my heart.

I guess I thought he wouldn't get worse. I don't know what I thought....I'm scared .

I appreciate all of the thoughts and prayers.

Nova

((((Nova and Harry)))

This sucks. I don't even know what to say except I'm sorry and you know you are always in my thoughts and prayers. Any chance of radiation? Oh gosh, I'm sick over this one. News of this type is like getting sucker punched. Hang in there sweetie, we're all here for you.

Topotecan and Irinotecan (CPT-11) are the two drugs. Tony did 2 cycles of CPT-11 and, as billed, it does cause diarrhea.

Sorry I missed the news that he was being scanned. This is not what any of us wish for you our dear Nova.

More hugs,

Debi

Oh Nova,

What can I say except "I know what you are going through" and I'm so sorry. It's very, very difficult to be given those choices. As you may remember, Bill did the Topotecan and it didn't do anything positive, it just dropped his blood counts, just like you mentioned. I will pray that Harry can accept whatever you two decide and that you also have the strength to get him through it. My heart just hurts so bad for you and Harry and Jake tonight. Try and rest tonight and make decisions tomorrow. I pray God will let you rest tonight.

Wish to god I had all the answers. Sadly I don't. CAn say prayers and Offer a shoulder to cry on and an ear to listen with though. Wanted top post earlier but just too emotional. Sending BIG HUGS ((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))) for both of you and everybody in the family! IF you need to blow off steam go for it!!!!!!!!! Grab a dozen eggs and go out back and wail away! Throw them as hard as you can. IT helps some what......

Nova,

I'm so sorry. I so know the pain, heartache and shock that comes with those results. Bill always wanted to do more chemo -- he never wanted to give up. Although the doctors wouldn't have wanted him to have more (he had to stop because of the radiation), I always supported his decision to continue treatment if he had the chance to. Harry needs to do what he needs to do.

((((Nova and Harry)))

PM me anytime,

I'm with him:

STANDING

WE ARE DONE HERE.

This just freaking bites.

I hate it and I hate and I hate it.

My heart is with you and I so hope Harry's determination and spirit are quickly rewarded.

Please know that I care and that I am praying my heart out and sending all love support and admiration.

Hugs for all of your family.

Please PM if there is anything you can think of that I could do or say or be.

P

Thank you.

I can't express how much I appreciate you.

The fact that you all KNOW what it's like, makes it easier somehow.

Debi, thanks for the actual names of the chemo meds ~ My mind was blank.

Laurie, you're going thru way worse times then we are. My heart breaks when I think about it.

Randy, I've only got 8 old hens left out in the coop, and 2 roosters, (that won't lay eggs, even though I threaten them with the stew pot), but I think I might take your advice, and do some egg throwing tomorrow.

Teri,

After Harry decided to sit down for the rest of the appointment, (I actually thought he was going to leave... :( ), he told the doctor he wanted the chemo. He knows how sick they've all made him, but he won't give up. Lord Bless him.... he's so much braver then I would be.

Thank you all.

Know that I think of you, and say prayers for each and every one of you every day. What would I do without you? :(

I am so sorry the news wasn't better. Harry's spirit will take him far. I hope he gets a good response from the chemo. Many times I thought we were on a downward spiral only to have something work and stabilize John again. Harry can do this.

Rochelle

Nova,

I'm so sorry to hear this news about Harry. It sounds like Harry is not ready to give up - I know after you regroup you will both be back up and fighting the fight.

My thoughts are with you both.

Nova-I'm so sorry for the news. My Mom is also in the same situation. When they found her liver met in Sept they put her on CPT11 (Irinotecan) which I believe is in the same family as the Topotecan. It didn't work for her @ the time and since it was only 1 met they did the radiation-well now it's still in the liver and 4 mets! She got her Cat Scan today but the Dr is having his baby tomorrow and is taking 2 weeks off!!! One of these chemo's might be the one that works for Harry - He doesn't sound like he's ready to give up yet and he doesn't have to if he can tolerate some more chemo.

Keep me posted and I will forward by PM some things I have found on the liver mets so far.

PM if you want.....

Dar

Our Dear Nova and Harry, My heart is just breaking for you. Harry, you have amazing courage and spirit. Nova I believe you have strength you haven't even

brought to the surface yet. Hang on, do what you both believe is the right

thing for Harry, I am praying my guts out for you.

Barb

((((((((((((Nova & Harry))))))))) I am so very sorry that your news was not better. Please know that I continue to keep you in prayer and I pray for and believe in miracles.

Carol

Oh Nova, I wish I was there to throw my arms around both of you. I know what a harsh shock it is to receive such news.

Joe tolerated Topetecan well, although it did not work for him. Dr. West suggested that CPT-11 could be a good choice for his third round of treatment. Our onc opted for something else however. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that either choice sounds like a good plan. I would opt for whatever the onc thinks will have fewest side effects.

Harry is lucky to have such a strong, beautiful woman beside him. And don't you forget that you have all us to be by your side.

Sending love and hugs to you both.

Today is a new day....

I woke up this morning, (at 1 am, 3:30 am, and 5:30 am), and decided that I needed to "Pull up my Big Girl Undies" and help Harry do what he feels is the best thing for him to do.

If he's not giving up, how dare I?

Yesterday's news was a shocker. I guess I thought we were in the "Elite Group of Limited", as far as lung cancer goes.... Now we've been booted out of that "Club", and sent on to the Extensive group....

Yesterday I was a wimp ~~ now I'm mad. :x

I don't think the doctor was quite right to throw the word Hospice at us so quickly.

I thought about radiation . The Doctor didn't mention it, and I wonder why? I'll call today and ask.

Thank you all for holding us up in thought and prayer.

Nova and Harry,

Even if the sleep was not the best,

you woke up in the fighting mood,

good for you.

A few options were talked about yesterday,

you may find more today....so

one day at a time for now.

Prayers and good wishes for the

right choice.

Hugs

Jackie

Keep that fighting spirit going!!!

I am also so sorry to hear that distressing news. I was speechless when I read his results. I'm with Katie and pray the the Topotecan will work for him with miminal side effects.

I can feel how mad you are and Iam in your corner there. I don't feel he should have used the word Hospice either.

Prayers sent to your Harry..

Maryanne :cry: