wine

alexan

Hi Bucky,

My doctor(s) never said I should not or could not drink, only if I did do it in moderation. Of course other things to considerate as well is other health issues, if one is on medication or under going treatments etc. Always best to ask your doctor when not sure, better to be safe then sorry. There have been studies on it. See Below. Hope this helps.

Rich

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2004 ... 230236.htm (Red wine protects against lung cancer: study)

YEs you can basically Check yourt pain meds of course to avoid interaction. Alcohol is an apetite stimulant and Red wine is good anti Oxidant. IF you want more proof let me know.. :)

I do! Love red wine. Merlot is my favorite. Just for an added tasty healthy benefit I drop a few blueberries or blackberries into the glass and then pour the wine in. By the time I finish drinking the wine the fruit is just so good-and I imagine quite healthy too! :wink::wink::wink:

Carol

Thanks guys! I love my one small glass of red wine a day so I didn't ask the doctor. A chemo nurse said I'm supposed to tell you no but I know people who do. One question, does it have something to do with your particular chemo cocktail. I left my notes home but I think mine is Carboplatin/Taxol/Avastin. RandyW says red wine is a source of antioxidants and another chemo nurse told me to stop taking my vitamins with anitoxidants because I should take antioxidants. Anybody know anything about this?

Mom actually asked this very question.

If you are experiencing dry throat as a symptom of treatmetn, it might make wine "hard to swallow" and thus not the best thing. However, the doctor didn't seem otherwise concerned...that said, call your doc...there are no wrong questions to ask...

Just posted over in another section with this same subject - but, I had chemo on New Years Eve Day and my doc told me it was OK to have some wine at midnight!! As long as I wasn't feeling sick from the chemo. If you can drink wine several hours after chemo, I would say you can have it anytime.

I am fond of white zinfindel personally!!

Cheers and bottoms up!!

Hi,

My husband was advised to only drink in moderation and not around the days of the actual chemo infusion. Never said why, but the nurses were not happy that he had a few glasses of wine the night before chemo one time. My thinking is it relates to not adding more crap to your system while the chemo is running around your body and also the anti-oxidant properties. I believe this applies to your particular chemo combo.

He took a multi-vitamin with the full range of anti-oxidants and I do know our oncologist raised an eyebrow over that one. As long as you are not overloading with anti-oxidants during a certain window of time around chemo, you'll probably be fine. Defining that particular window is the most important thing for you to find out. Some people claim 24 hours, but I'd definitely check with your Oncologist on that issue.

Good luck and cheers!

Welthy

I asked both my chemo doc and rad doc about drinking wine. One of them asked, "Are you planning on drinking the whole bottle?" Once I assured him that was not my intent, he told me to kock myself out with it!!!!!! (I REALLY DID wish at that point in time I could have finished off the whole bottle :roll: , but kept it in moderation :wink: ).

Kasey

Red wine is an excellent source of antioxidants and something called resveratrol, which research is finding is good for a whole host of things...one of which may be preventing and/or slowing the growth of lung cancer.

Now, that said, let's not have everyone running for the bottle! Red wine is one of the highest in content for resveratrol among "foods," but there are other sources -- red grape juice included.

White wine and other liquors do not have this property -- the benefits come from the skins, stems and seeds of grapes used for wine; if processing was different for white wine, I don't know if it would make a difference, but red wine just puts the entire grape (stem and all) in the vats during fermentation...other wines do not, from what I understand to date.

My concern would be potential interactions with drugs. Wine does lower blood pressure, can act as a blood thinner (I think?)...among other things, I'm sure. I'd definitely notify your medical team if you are consuming wine or other "spirits." A glass or two may affect folks differently as your physique alone will determine how much is too much and that differs for folks.

For those interested in the benefits without the worries of alcohol, resveratrol is available in local health food stores....I'd still cover that with your medical team first though.

Linda

Can you drink wine with lung cancer???????

I think this is a fair question to ask your oncologist because we are all in the same boat but in a different seat.

Personally, I can drink anything with cancer. I just can't drink as much as I used to and I don't have a clue if it's hurting or helping me. If they tell me to stop, I will.

Bars, taverns, night clubs and lounges had always been a significant part of my life but my first year after DX I hardly drank or went out at all. The second year I could handle an occasional whiskey and water session but had a hard time with beer. Following that I had about a year of Uncle Mikes and box wines. From there we almost totally quit going out and I pretty much got on a course with a normal but very light routine, (an occasional anything), and developed a fondness for box wines and Bud Light, which I'd never tolerated well pre-cancer. As I said, I can and do drink anything, the only difference now is that most of my drinking is at home and pretty limited.

I know this doesn't answer the real question you asked, (I believe the answer to that is yes).

Your medical team has the best technical answer.

John

P.S. Okay, I was finishing off a Martini while I typed this. :oops: