Question about metastases

barbvh

Metastasis (Greek: displacement, μετά=next + στάσις=placement, plural: metastases), sometimes abbreviated mets, is the spread of a disease from one organ or part to another non-adjacent organ or part. Only malignant tumor cells and infections have the capacity to metastasize.

Cancer cells can "break away", "leak", or "spill" from a primary tumor, enter lymphatic and blood vessels, circulate through the bloodstream, and settle down to grow within normal tissues elsewhere in the body. Metastasis is one of three hallmarks of malignancy (contrast benign tumors).[1] Most tumors and other neoplasms can metastasize, although in varying degrees, barring a few exceptions

I think TNM staging classifies ipsilateral ("same side") pulmonary nodules as Stage IIIb

if it is on the other side of the lung "contralateral" then it is Stage IV.

I think if there is no lymph node involvement then a resection might be possible.

Also ask the Dr if the cancer is BAC.

There may be a chance of having a double cancer. Lung cancer of two different types. You could ask the Dr about this.

============================== edited

Sorry, I misread your post. What treatment did you have before the new nodule showed up?

Take care.

mary - you didn't 'buy it', you were told correctly. a tumor on one side of the lungs and contralateral nodes with cancer, would make you a 3b. a nodule on the contraletal side would make it stage 4, you had contralateral lymph nodes, not a nodule.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Here is Dr. Laskin's reply from the question I posted Onc Talk:

"Hi, Dr Laskin here, I would say it is most likely that these are new primary cancers rather than metastases (though that is also possible).

The kind of lung cancer that you had removed, particularly the BAC part has a tendency to turn up in several different spots in the lung (we generally think of it as a multifocal disease). It was the correct choice to remove the first one they found, but i would agree with your oncologists plan to wait and re-scan you in a few months, assuming you are feeling well.

These are very small and might just turn out to be inflammatory chagnes, but if they are cancer (or look like they're growing) you could speak to your surgeon to see if your lung capacity would tolerate another surgery. keep in mind that you will only be able to tolerate so many lung surgeries so watching these spots is a good choice of action at the moment."