Chemo Sensations?

AndyT

Hi All.

Looking for some experiences w/sensations in the torso during chemo. Dad has mentioned "sensations" in his torso; sometimes around the kidney, the back, chest but never in arms or legs. These aren't constant and seem random. He says there is no pain or "crawling" feelings, just that something is going on. he couldn't describe it any other way. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanx...Andy

PS: Other recent symptoms are shoulder pain on same side as primary (I'm reading other posts on this) and headaches. They just reduced his decadron again Monday, so hoping this is the cause and not the brain mets.

I'm not sure I can help much other than to say that I think when you are sick you start to pay more attention or notice things differently than you would when you aren't. And maybe it is really nothing at all but just something that now he is hyper-aware of. I've noticed that with myself with a knee surgery, the slightest feeling in the surgical knee panics me, but I don't pay any attention to the other knee. Not nearly on the same scale as cancer, but I think the same concept applies. But as always, any and all odd things should be noted to the Drs. Though as I teased my sister when she would say something about a pain or feeling that I couldn't figure out, I bet when you tell the Dr they say, interesting, no idea what that is. Which has happened to us a couple of times. One time her Dr. was contemplating a symptom and I said what I thought and he just pointed at me and said "yeah, what she said, that sounds right". :) Good luck, I hope your Dad is feeling better soon and the sensations either go away or get explained or he just stops noticing them.

I was kind of thinking along those lines too. In my mind I compared it to my wife, who's pregnant, feels every little tweak or twinge. Anyway, Dad's not really bothered by these sensations just more curious than anything. He's never even mentioned them till this morning and only mentioned it in passing when talking about the headaches & shoulder.

My sister used to complain the day of chemo of a dull pain right about where the tumor is, only on chemo day though. When she told both rad and med oncs they both looked stumped and said they really had no idea why. I told them "me either so i've decided it is the feeling of all the chemo going directly to only the tumor and killing it". They both laughed and decided my explanation was just fine! Hey, if my sister asks, I want to have an answer! And that one seemed as good as any!

My mom described similar sensations during or shortly after receiving chemo. Interestingly, she did not get these sensations with chemos that did not work, like Iressa and Tarceva, although these chemos were pill form.

Anyway, she said it felt like an effervescent type of sensation...who knows, maybe there's something to it?

~Karen