Gene passed away

Ghita419

Gene passed away yesterday at about 3pm. We're still not sure why it happened because his scans were scheduled for today. It turns out, it was his blood gasses.

Every time we went to the doc, and had just been to the doc the day before, I kept insisting that I thought he was hypoxic. But they'd do a sat and he would sat 93-95%. Yesterday, I woke up and found him unresponsive and Cheyne Stoking. I sat him up, made him breathe, he came around but was confused. He walked to the bathroom, sat down in the chair, gave me an "I love you smile" and hugged me. My son and a friend of his helped me get him to the car and took him to the ER.

The minute he laid down on the gurney, he again started swirling the drain. He began Cheyne Stoking again. His sat on the pulse ox was 94% at the same time they were drawing ABG's. The gasses came back with a Po2 of 44 PCO2 of 68. The doc put him on 2L O's nc repeated gasses in 20" s and they came back with a PCO2 of 89. He turned the O's down to 1/2 L.

Gene had a living will and did not want a ventilator, if they could have assured me he would come off the vent, I would have done it. It was so hard to make that decision, not knowing why this had happened.

He stayed in the ER from 9am to 3pm, breathing one or two breathes a minute the whole time. He had no pain and finally slept away. I will never have his arms around me again.

He was my everything, and he was since the day we started seeing each other. My heart, my soul, my friend, my husband.

Ghita

Ghita,

I am so shocked to read this and so, so sorry. Sometimes there are just no adequate explanations.

The first days are a whirlwind. You might feel a large surge of energy with things to do. Don't expect anything specific from yourself. Just let things happen emotionally as they will. It can be a roller coaster, particularly in the first weeks. It's so unreal.

Allow people to help you. If friends ask if they can help, say yes. Do anything that you think might bring you a moment of joy, especially spending time with loved ones.

And come here -- we understand.

Ghita,

I am so sorry to read this. Everything Teri said is exactly right. In the beginning people will want to help, I had no idea what to have them do. So later, call those people if something comes up and they will surely be very willing to help you.

Be sure to come back here and if you need to vent, do it. We all do and we will all be here for you.

Barb

My thoughts condolences and prayers for you and the Family right now I know how hard this is to deal with. If we can be of any help drop us a note whenever you want.

Ghita,

I know I've already expressed my sympathy over at the Doc's place, but wanted to echo those above about sticking around for the support. There are many who know the sorrow in your heart now and we will be here to hold you up.

May God hold you close in the upcoming days.

Welthy