introduction of myself

mydaddy

Hello, I am Rebecca. I just found out yeaturday that my daddy has stage 3b lung cancer. I am 35 and am planning on moving in with him and mom to assist with his care. Mom has fibromyalgia and can not do much. So it will be up to me to care for the two of them and my husband and 8yr old daughter. :oops::cry::?:shock::(

I am stress to the max. I have some idea as to what to expect. I am scared to death. Being a CNA and caring for others with cancer gives my some understanding, but it gives a big ugly picture to. If you know what I mean. I just pray that I have the strength to care for all of them. It anyone has any advice please feel free.

Hi Rebecca,

Don't jump the gun. I too was diagnosed with stage IIIB (in Jan.2005 ) and I live alone. Other than the first three days I came home after surgery when I had someone stay with me, I was quite able to take care of myself. Even on the days I had chemo I came home, rested on the couch but didn't need any care. I hope the same goes for your dad. Good luck to you and your family.

Bobbi

Hi, Rebecca, welcome to the group! I'm another IIIB, as you can see from my profile below.

If you can give us some details about your dad -- general health, symptoms that led to the diagnosis, results of various tests, treatment planned, etc. -- our members with first-hand experience as patients or family members can give you a better idea of what to expect. Cancer staging is based on a set of very specific clinical findings and has little to do with how "sick" a person appears to be at any particular time. Some Stage III or IV patients are far more capable of caring for themselves and others than some Stage I or II patients.

What I'm trying to say is this: IF your dad is in good condition now except for the cancer, don't assume that the IIIB diagnosis means he is likely to go downhill rapidly. He may respond well to treatment and be able to manage the cancer as a chronic condition for a long time or even indefinitely. Cancer treatments have come a long way in recent years.

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

ask any questions here that you need an answer to. NO MATTER WHAT THEY ARE!!!! we can answer about anything from beginning to end. we also send a lot of prayers for you and your Family. sayin a prayer and sending a hug for the whole family tonite!!

Hi Rebecca

Just want to welcome you here and let you know the LC is not a death sentence. It is treatable and you may find your dad is stronger than you think. There are many people on here who were dianosised with stage IIIB who are doing fine.

You do have a full plate and I hope your husband can help with your 8 year old and can help out with the chores.

We are hear for any questions, support, prayers if needed and if you just need to vent.

When you find out more about his diagnosis and treatment please post a profile which appears on the bottom of your posts.

You go to my profile on the top and go to profile where you put in the infomation.

Keep us posted on his treatments.

Maryanne

Rebecca,

Welcome to our family. So sorry you have to be here and you certainly have your hands full. Just want you to know that there are many folks who have beaten this disease . There is a lot of information and lots of support at this site. Take time to read through the different forums to get an idea of what is discussed where. There's something for everyone , even a fun forum to help relieve the tension a bit. Wishing you the best. Just know you are not alone, we are here.

Sue

Welcome Rebecca, Sorry you have the need to be here, but am very glad you found us.

I think you might want to take a step backwards first. I think you might be jumping the gun just a little fast at this time as to moving in with your parents.

Taking care of people at work and taking care of your parents 24/7 is totally apples and oranges. You honestly have no clue what your in for. Slow down and we'll do our best to walk the walk with you.

I am a stage IIIB lung cancer survivor and you can read my profile below.

Do they have a treatment plan for your dad yet? How is he feeling? Does your dad still work?

Keep us posted.

Hi, again, Rebecca. I agree with Connie B. Wait until you know what kind of help your Mom and Dad will need before making that move. Your Dad may never need any help. Or perhaps, only during chemo or radiation. Or maybe they'll just need a little help with some household tasks. Wait and see. BTW, Connie really knows what she is talking about. She is a 12 1/2 YEAR survivor.

Muriel

Hi Rebecca-

Sorry you find the need to be here but you have come to the greatest place with wonderful people who will help you along this journey.

I, too, agree with the other posts about waiting and seeing how much help your dad will need. I am Stage IV and have been undergoing chemo for almost 15 months. My husband is a long distance truck driver and I have a teenage son. In the beginning when I was on the "hard core" chemo, the only real help I needed was with meals which my friends sent in. Other than that, I drove my son wherever he needed to go and did all the household chores, albeit slower than usual. Depending on what chemo your dad is put on, he may come through this much better than you expected.

My prayers will be with you and your family. Please keep us posted on your dad's progress.

Hi Rebecca and welcome to our group. I'm so sorry to hear of your Dad's diagnosis and your need to be here but I have to agree with the others in the fact that your Dad may not need as much help as you are anticipating. My hubby is stage 3A and has been stable now for 21 months. With the exception of a couple of set backs and all through radiation and chemo he's doing fine and at no point has he needed 24/7 care. He experiences extreme fatigue at times and he does things much more slowly but does not need constant care. (See profile)

Feel free to ask us anything. This is a wonderful, caring, knowledgeable and supportive group.

Good Luck & God Bless

wendyr

Hello Sorry to hear about your dad.I know exactly what you are going through.My mother had lung cancer and me and my sister took care of her she passed in 2000.Now my mother in law moved in with me and my husband and our 2 children she was dx nsclc in aug 08 she went through radiation,and chemo.She is doing so much better than my mother did and she is stage 4 went to the hospital for a broken arm to find out she is is stage 4 lung cancer that had already spread to her bones that what caused it to break.We go in on friday to see about all of the scans she had to see how it is doing.Good Luck to you and your dad email me anytime .Patty