Tappers getting it spot on in memory of Roy Castle

RandyW

Tappers getting it spot on in memory of Roy Castle

In the groove: Tappers (from the left) Marjorie Aspin, Betty Wood, Vera Kerridge, Dora Barraclough and Doreen Ellison

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »

View GalleryBy Virginia Mason

THE strains of All That Jazz boom out at full volume filling the hall at North Bridge Leisure Centre and 20 pairs of feet – all perfectly synchronised – began to tap along to the music.

The music then switches to a lively number from Riverdance and mesmerically, they move at lightning speed, legs crossing from one side to another, backs ram-rod straight as the footwork becomes increasingly more complicated.

But these ladies of a certain age take it all in their stride – quite literally.

I am sitting in on a rehearsal of the North Bridge Leisure Centre Tappers who might be dancing for fun but are perfectly serious about getting it right.

"I make sure they come up to scratch," says Jacky Clarke, good humouredly.

Jacky, who teaches at Bradford College of Performing Arts and is a regular choreographer for the city's Alhambra Theatre, has been putting the ladies through their paces for more than 10 years.

"I use the same choreography that I do for professional shows. I don't go soft on them but they're fast learners and they don't let me down. I am incredibly proud of them," she adds.

Today's rehearsal is one of the last before the group performs at a very special date on the calendar – the annual Roy's Relay Tapathon.

This year's event will be the 12th marathon tap-dancing extravaganza which is held in honour of entertainer Roy Castle, who died in 1994 from lung cancer after contracting the disease through passive smoking.

The Tapathons were the idea of Derek Hamer, of Brighouse, who along with his wife, Vera, appeared with Roy as young entertainers in holiday revues and concert parties in the 1950s.

In the 1990s many of Roy's old friends met up again while Roy was performing at the Victoria Theatre, Halifax. After all getting together backstage they agreed they wanted to help him with his support for research into lung cancer.

As a result, the yearly Tapathons have contributed vital funds for the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation in Liverpool – the world's only dedicated lung cancer research centre.

"It's wonderful that we can help in this way – and of course we have a lot of fun doing it," says Vera Kerridge, an old friend of Roy's who performed in the seaside revues.

"I worked with Roy and it's a real privilege to be doing this."

Sisters Betty Wood and Marjorie Aspin agree. Both have been dancing since they were children and now enjoy the regular tap dancing sessions at North Bridge.

"I've taken part in every one. You get a few butterflies before the start but we don't have any sleepless nights about being perfect on the day," says Betty.

"Well they say nerves are good because they get the adrenalin going," laughs Marjorie.

Mavis Howarth, 77, is also a regular "tapper".

"I've tapped since I was a child. My mum was keen to send me to classes. It definitely keeps you fit," she says.

"But the Tapathons are really special. We all try our best to put on a good display."

Doreen Ellison, now 74, has also been a regular Tapathon dancer.

This year's event will be all the more poignant because one of their members will be sadly missing. Greta Ennis died last August, tragically from the same disease she was trying to highlight and for which she was raising funds. She too had lung cancer.

"Greta was with us right from the very first Tapathon so it is very sad she's not here this year. It makes this year's event even more special and we are determined to do our best and not let her down," says Doreen.

"Well we're none of us getting any younger but we have a lot of fun," adds Vera.

"Maybe we should tell everyone our combined ages before we start. That would give them all a shock."

This year's Tapathon will feature dancers from 20 schools both in and around Calderdale and once again fund-raising will be vital for the Roy Castle Foundation. There will also be a special guest watching on.

"We're thrilled because Roy's widow Fiona has agreed to come along, so that's smashing," says Derek.

"Last year was an exception with more than £18,000 being raised and on average the Tapathon raises about £10,000 to £12,000 so this year we're hoping for another bumper year.

"Every penny counts and is put to good use, funding vital research."

l The 2008 Roy's Relay Tapathon takes place at North Bridge Leisure Centre, Halifax, next Sunday, January 20, from 10am to 4pm and everyone is welcome. More information about the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation is available by visiting www.roycastle.org

The full article contains 795 words and appears in Evening Courier newspaper.Last Updated: 14 January 2008 9:10 AM

Greta Ennis died last August, tragically from the same disease she was trying to highlight and for which she was raising funds. She too had lung cancer.

“Greta was with us right from the very first Tapathon so it is very sad she’s not here this year. It makes this year’s event even more special and we are determined to do our best and not let her down,” says Doreen.

“Well we’re none of us getting any younger but we have a lot of fun,” adds Vera.

“Maybe we should tell everyone our combined ages before we start. That would give them all a shock.”

This year's Tapathon will feature dancers from 20 schools both in and around Calderdale and once again fund-raising will be vital for the Roy Castle Foundation. There will also be a special guest watching on.

“We're thrilled because Roy's widow Fiona has agreed to come along, so that's smashing,” says Derek.

“Last year was an exception with more than £18,000 being raised and on average the Tapathon raises about £10,000 to £12,000 so this year we're hoping for another bumper year.

“Every penny counts and is put to good use, funding vital research.”

l The 2008 Roy's Relay Tapathon takes place at North Bridge Leisure Centre, Halifax, next Sunday, January 20, from 10am to 4pm and everyone is welcome. More information about the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation is available by visiting www.roycastle.org

The full article contains 291 words and appears in Evening Courier newspaper.Last Updated: 14 January 2008 9:10 AM