Help...my mom needs support!!

crdevine

Hi everyone...

My mom was diagnosed with stage IIB NSCLC on December 2nd. Actually I do not remember that actual date, it is all such a blur. We are very close and what makes it so much harder is that I live far away in Chicago and she is in Inverness, FL. We have tried to stay positive and her outlook actually looks really good but she is still stuck on the 5 year outlook that is posted all over the internet. How do I get her to fight for today and take it day by day. She watched her sister pass away years ago from NSCLC and she fears that will happen to her. She is having surgery to remove the cancer on February 21st and is also concerned about the surgery. I need to find someone for her to talk to to tell her she can make it. Also the tumor is pressing on t1 and t2 nerves in her back. Anyone else experienced this? Please help.

Welcome to the site, you couldn't have found a better place for support.

Make sure your mom knows that the fact that they are offering her surgery is a sign that they are hoping for a cure! Many people don't get diagnosed before Stage IIIA or IIIB, when surgery typically isn't an option. Her prognosis should be quite good!

I can't help with the specific issues she's having re her back, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice.

Again, welcome and the best of luck to your mom on surgery day.

Sorry to hear about your mother. I also was staged 11b in July 05. I finished my treatment 2 years ago this last december and have been found (ned) no cancer detected so far. I am so glad your mother can have the surgery. I still worry about recurrance and that 5 year survival thing but it is nothing like it was when I was first diagnosed.It sounds like your mom has a good chance of beating this so I hope you or her doesnt lose hope.Just try your best to take it a day at a time.Prayers are being said for your mom.

First let me say how sorry I am to hear of your mother's dx and second I would like to extend a big welcome.

Please tell Mom that all the stats she's reading are 5 years old and there have been many new drugs introduced since then. Please keep reading profiles here and you'll see the different treatments that are available.

The fact she is a candidate for surgery is a big plus and she stands a very good chance of getting a cure.

wendyr

Welcome to the site, although I am so sorry that you have to be here.

I agree with everyone else that the statistics are very outdated.

She is lucky to have someone like you to keep her spirits up and advocate for her.

Best wishes on her treatments and upcoming surgery.

Linda

I was diagnosed stage 3A. I had 6 weeks of daily radiation and weekly chemo (carboplatinum/taxol). I had surgery and my scans have been clean since. My surgery was in July 2005. That your mother is going to have surgery is a good thing. I think your mother's cancer was found at an early stage is a good thing. There is some pain after the surgey and soreness for a long time. I found the Alleve pain medication worked better for me than prescription medication because it did not constipate me. Please tell your mother to drink lots of water while she is on chemo. Hope this helps.

Carol

Welcome! You are very fortunate that your mom will be able to have surgery. The surgery isn't a lot of fun - I've done it twice - but is certainly manageable and her best option for a cure. Is she receiving treatment in Inverness or going to one of the cancer centers in FL (MD Anderson, Moffitt, Mayo, etc.)?

I'm sure you both will be anxious before the surgery, but it really isn't as bad as you might fear. I received great pain management and was out of the hospital in five days. How is she doing with the chemo?

Please keep in touch with us. Invite your Mom to join us, too. Be sure to let us know how she does with surgery.

Muriel

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement. I have copied the replies and sent them to my mom. I really hope she decided to join the site as well. Muriel...She is being treated with Chemo in Inverness with Dr. Harrer but is having the surgery in Tampa at Moffitt.

Thank you again to everyeone. I know we can fight this and win.