Met with Doctor....

Steph74

It's as I suspected, the onc said he would recommend stopping treatment. She's had 4 chemos and he said that her cancer has built up a resistance to it. He said he didn't think her body could take much more - she's gone from 160 lbs to 103 lbs and is in a lot of pain. He said the brain and lungs are stable, but the liver cancer is too aggressive, and that's the worst place for it. My mom was crying, saying she didn't want to die, she didn't want to give up - it was horrible. I never thought I could feel as hopeless as I did that initial day when we sat in his office and got the diagnosis - this topped it. He did say that there is one more option but it was unlikely to stabilize the disease. He wants to take it week by week and see how she physically is doing. So - here it is the fifth chemo - after carbo/taxol, tarceva, alimta, and gemzar - it's vinorelbine (navelbine). It's our last hope. I feel so awful for my mom - she is a shadow of the woman she was. :(

Steph,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I've been watching for your post. I agree with Katie - ask about cyberknife. Your mom still wants to fight - so that's a great start. I hope the new treatment will bring relief. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Hugs,

Lisa

I am sorry to hear this, Stephanie. I have no suggestions other than to get another expert opinion and search out whatever you can find where the liver is concerned. Mom has been quite the warrior........I am offering prayers she is afforded the opportunity to keep going with this new tx. You and mom are in my thoughts and prayers too. Best of luck as you continue traveling this bumpy road.

Kasey

Steph,

I'm so sorry to hear about the progression. Have hope. Navelbine was a very effective agent for my husband way down the line too. It chased back many of his tumors and he was on it for 19 weeks. It's pretty gentle on the system.

Hang in there and many hugs,

Welthy

Stephanie--

I am really sorry to hear that you are at this point. I have followed you and your mom for quite some time. You both have been so strong and so brave for all of these months. I am sending you all of my strength for the coming days.

My thoughts are with you and your mom.

Best,

Leslie

Stephanie:

I am just so very very sorry. I have been away for awhile but I wanted to let you know you and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers. YOUR MOM IS A FIGHTER. Look at all she has done already! There is no reason why she can't take it a step further and prove the doctors wrong.

I know how hard this is. Never give up hope.

Thank you for all your replies and well wishes - I will definitely take Katie's advice and talk to the doctor about the cyberknife possibility. I've been trying to convince my mom about the second opinion as well - this doctor is one of the top two lung cancer oncologists Chicago - I want to see the other!