Want al my small cell LC friends to see the research News!!

RandyW

PhytoMedical’s Patented Anti-Cancer Compounds Kill Lung Cancer Cells, a Significant New Finding

Novel class of antitumor compounds are designed to bind to DNA and kill cancer cells; previously demonstrated ability to kill brain cancer cells, an extremely resistant and often fatal strain of cancer

PRINCETON, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--PhytoMedical Technologies, Inc. (OTCBB: PYTO) (FWB: ET6), today announced that its patented bis-intercalator anti-cancer compound achieved a 50% or greater cancer cell kill rate in new in vitro studies of the DMS 114 strain of human small lung cancer cells, an important outcome given lung cancer’s high mortality rate and the lack of effective treatment options.

Research has shown that the antitumor agents being developed by PhytoMedical, in collaboration with Dartmouth College, have a unique ‘cytotoxic’ or poisonous effect upon cancer cells through the process of “intercalating” or binding to the DNA of cancer cells, thereby preventing the ability of the cancer cells to replicate and ultimately forcing their death.

Among several bis-intercalator anti-cancer compounds tested in vitro against the DMS 114 strain of human small lung cancer cells, researchers identified a high performance compound which required the least concentration in order to achieve a 50% or greater cancer cell kill rate. This strong activity against human small lung cancer cells is a significant achievement given that lung cancer kills more Americans annually than any other type of cancer, according to the National Cancer Institute.

“Our breakthrough research results against human lung cancer cells is yet another important step towards providing an effective treatment option for this aggressive and fatal strain,” commented Greg Wujek, President, CEO of PhytoMedical Technologies, Inc. “It is imperative to develop drugs that directly target and inhibit the growth of cancer cells while maintaining a level of resistance.”

“Given the demonstrated cytotoxic effects of our patented DNA binding compounds on lung cancer cells, and recently against an often fatal strain of human brain cancer cells, it would appear that our concept of using bis-intercalation against cancer holds a great deal of promise.”

PhytoMedical’s Cancer Research: Killing Cancer’s DNA

In collaboration with Dartmouth College and Dr. Gordon W. Gribble, PhytoMedical is developing a novel class of patented anti-cancer agents that have a ‘cytotoxic’ or poisonous affinity for cancer cells. These new compounds are designed to bind more tightly to cancer cell DNA than many conventional anti-cancer drugs by a process called bis-intercalation or “double binding,” much like a molecular staple. Because the DNA is the blueprint of life for the cancer cell, such binding stops the replication of the DNA, which prevents the growth of the cancer cell and it dies.

DNA is present in the nucleus of every cell of all living organisms, which are constantly dividing through a process in which the DNA in the nucleus of the original cell replicates itself to be present in the nuclei of the two new (“daughter”) cells. If this replication cannot occur, the cell will die and the organism will eventually stop growing and die. Cancer is characterized by the development of abnormal cells that divide uncontrollably and have the ability to infiltrate and destroy normal body tissue.

At present, anti-cancer molecules designed to block the replication of DNA do so through “intercalation,” a mechanism in which the drug inserts itself between one set of adjacent base pairs of the DNA. PhytoMedical believes a more effective anti-cancer strategy is to design molecules (“bis-intercalators”) that can intercalate simultaneously at two DNA sites, thereby further increasing the binding between the drug and the DNA of specific cancer cells in order to stop their replication and ultimately resulting in the death of the cancer cell.

I wonder how long it will take for them to get going with that?

I wish they would hurry..... :(

It almost sounds like the same treatment that the Burzinsky (sp?) clinic, in Texas offers. If so, there aren't as many bad side effects, because it's made with your own DNA/Cells. (You can tell I'm not a doctor).

Thanks for the article.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an excellent link foir thorough knowledge of the ENTIRE PROCESS!! You real answer is below I think;

http://www.chemcases.com/cisplat/cisplat15.htm

The FDA estimates that it takes a little over 8 years to test a drug—including early laboratory and animal testing—before the final approval for use by the general public

Where in NC are you at? Several of us are in the Greensboro Area so if you need us for something drop a note to RandyW in Personal MAil system..

Thank you for the info, Randy!

I'm in the Raleigh area, but my step-father (who has extensive SCLC) lives in Fayetteville. He and my mom drive back and forth to the NIH in Bethesda for treatment.

I just joined the board, so I'm working hard at catching up on past posts. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions along the way. Thanks for offering your help and support to a fellow Tarheel. :wink: