My introduction

Hampshirebear

After months of being unwell and even having a chest x-ray which showed clear, I have been diagnosed with nsclc (squamous cell carcinoma)probably stage IIIb. I had an MRI scan and subsequent bronchoscopy, and finally had it confirmed yesterday. I also had a brain scan which was clear. (thank God)

Surgery is not possible, but the consultant thinks that radiotherapy and chemotherapy will help to shrink it and improve life quality. He is arranging this to start next week, but I am really terrified of the treatment.

I will probably reluctantly have the treatment, but would be grateful for any advice on this.

I have been browsing this forum for a few days and find it very helpful.

Welcome, Hampshirebear. This is a wonderful place full of information and support. In the beginning everything is so overwhelming and scary, so give yourself a little time. Everyone reacts differently to treatment, but know for many it is tolerable or better. Keep us posted on your what your treatment plan will be and I'm sure others will be along to offer more advice. We're all here for you.

Hugs,

Lisa

Welcome Hampshirebear. Simple Chest X rays do not let us visualize lung tumors unless they are very solid, and most are not. Since screening all people with high doses of radiation is not good for you either I pray that someoe will invent a machine we could blow into that could pick up the odor of the abnormal cells. Trained Dogs can do it!

Glad they are getting you into treatment without delay. When I eventualy had surgery all the tumor was dead and scar tissue. Wishing you these great results. Keep us posted.

Donna G

Welcome Hampshire. I'm glad you found us. I think that you will find lots of information, uplifting stories, and support here. I had chemo, but not radiation. The chemo wasn't fun, but it was manageable. In fact I did it twice. Be sure to ask your doctor about getting a port (a vascular access port). It makes chemo so much easier to administer. Also, be sure that you are given anti-nausea meds to take after each chemo session. Let us know what your treatment plan is and we can probably provide more info. Best wishes.

Muriel

Treatments have given me 12+ years. It's scary when we start this journey. I totally understand your fears. Within a few weeks you'll be a pro at it, and we'll be here to walk with you through the rough spots and the good ones. Yes, there are good ones too! :wink: POSITIVE ATTITUDE REALLY HELPS.

Welcome HampshireBear to the best site on the web for info and support. Once you get a treatment plan in place you'll feel better. If you have any questions about anything, please do not hesitate to ask, it's a pretty safe bet that someone here will have had the experience and will respond.\\

wendyr

Well you are alot braver than me. It took me months to actually post something on this site. I am also IIIB. I've been through the 1st line radiation and chemo. And really, it wasn't that bad for me...lucky I guess. I took the attitude that they tell you about all these side effects...but doesn't mean they are necessarily going to happen to you. It's not all great for sure...but I found all the staff at the cancer clinic so awesome...I am sure that is the case in other places as well. Special people go to cancer clinics (like all of us on this site) and very special people work at them. Other thing I decided from the get go was that they have cancer clinics to "cure" people...and what the heck...why wouldn't you or I or anyone else be one of those folks who are cured. It all seems to happen so fast at the beginning...but I found that once I had a treatment plan I felt much better. Ups and downs throughout for sure...but a positive attitude goes a long way. Keep your spirits up please. My thoughts and prayers are with you...as are many other kind people on this site supporting people like you and me.

Thank you so much everyone for your replies, its comforting to know I am not alone.

After a couple of good days, during which I done too much, I had a really bad night and still feel awful today. I suppose I need to take it easy.

The doctor phoned yesterday and my chemo is to start on Wed 2/6/08, but I am to meet him first the evening before and he will explain the procedure.

I will post again and keep in touch.

I started chemo yesterday,I am being treated with Gemcarbo and had the first half of the first cycle. I have to have 3-4 cycles.

Luckily I still have private medical insurance, so everything is being done quickly and the hospital is very comfortable. I did not find the treatment all that bad, but realise that any side effects could be delayed.

My wife died 2 years ago, but I am lucky I have my 2 daughters and son and 6 grandchildren around, so I am not often alone. I do feel for people who have to go through this on thier own.

Thanks again everyone for the support.

You just never know how much or little trouble people will have with chemo. Hope your side effects remain minimal. If not, remember that the chemo sessions will eventually come to an end.

Don't forget to drink lots and lots of water and eat whatever seems good at the moment.

Keep in touch. We want to know how you are doing and try to offer encouragement if needed.

Muriel