Other Health Problem???

Connie B

Hi Friends,

I was sitting here reading some PM's from my LC buddies and funny thing is, a few of us (more then a few) are dealing with some OTHER SERIOUS health issues these days.

What bothers me is, no one seems to share it with all the wonderful members here at LCSC. So far 5 people who are going through other health isssues have said they don't want to talk about it or post on the board because they don't want people to think they are WHINNING!

Well................... hummmmmm I guess I think that's what this Forum is designed for. Or am I wrong? Here's what the Forum Says on the Front Page:

LC SURVIVORS

A forum for anyone diagnosed with Lung Cancer, those in treatment and those who are not, to express their thoughts and issues from a patient's perspective. A place for survivors to connect and vent and to share their journeys with one another.

You ALL know I am dealing with some major heart problems along with my nodules on my lung. I've shared with the entire board my heart journey and the love and support I recieved from everyone was some of the BEST MEDICINE I could have ever gotten in my recovery. There isn't anyone here that doesn't like to be cared for and supported. It was over whelming, but it sure gave me that EXTRA HAPPY MEDICINE BOOST I needed! Bless all those that supported me during my surgeries it was GREATLY APPREICATED AND NEEDED AND HELPFUL TO ME!

I hope that my LC Friends who are dealing with Lung Cancer Issue, or Other Heatlh Issues will take a minute or two and share your journey with us and allow us to offer you support and love.

I know for me, some of my heart problems are Radiation related. I know I'm not the only one that is dealing with long term side effects of treatments or other health issues.

I hope my LC Survivor friends will post on this forum about there health problems, cancer related or not!!!! The more support we get, the better we feel. HONEST!!! :wink::wink::wink:

Let's hear your concerns and all about your aches and pains. Come on, if I can do it you can do it!

Connie my friend...you are 'da best'....You alway's come up with such wonderful 'thread's' on the board...I think this is really a good one to share with all our friends here...

For me...you know my main problem is 'sick in the head' with this LC stuff...worry wart that I am is my main health problem...but I am slowing over coming that specially when I get a good report like I just did...Other than that...it is mostly aches and pains...(and dare I blame it on old age)...no way!!! not me..ha...

But really...I really don't have to much to complain about ..thank God...a little 'osteo'...a little "Gerd'..but for the most part I'm OK...

I pray for everyone here for all the other health problems...other than LC..(Lord only know's that's enough)..and hope that what ever it is...they could deal with and get on with their life the best that they can...This is no 'dress rehersal'...so we have to make the best with what we have...and alway's remember there is someone who is worse off then us..

Connie..you are a worrior...you never cease to amaze me ..you are so kind and caring...I can't even begin to tell you how much you have contributed to this board...we all love you...and me?...I love you up to the sky :-) xoxoxox

hugs and God Bless...nonni

Good idea, Connie -- a perspective enhancer!

I've mentioned in a couple of posts, and there's a reference to it in my profile, that I've had Meniere's Disease since 1994. I should put "probably" in there somewhere, because no one knows for sure. Meniere's is an "idiopathic" inner ear disease, meaning there's no known cause, and the diagnosis, if you can call it that, is based on the presence of four specific symptoms when no underlying factor such as tumor, injury, bacterial infection, or virus can be found. It's believed to be caused by a buildup of fluid pressure in the inner ear, but with no good explanation as to why, there's no effective treatment for the disorder. The symptoms are (1) progressive, irreversible hearing loss in one or both ears, (2) tinnitus, a constant ringing/roaring/whooshing which seems to be coming from the affected ear but more likely is being produced by the brain, (3) a feeling of fullness or pressure in the ear even when no sinus or eustachian tube congestion is present, and (4) sudden, totally debilitating attacks of spinning vertigo and nausea which occur without warning and last for several hours or longer. I'm happy to say that I've found a medication (meclizine) that depresses the vestibular system enough to prevent these vertigo-nausea episodes as long as I faithfully take it three times a day, and I haven't had a full-blown attack for several years. Unfortunately, many (probably most) people cannot tolerate that much meclizine.

Here's something I wrote to my online Meniere's Disease discussion group in September 2006, shortly before I joined the LCSC. The last paragraph may puzzle some of you, and following the quote I'll try to explain why I still feel that way:

A Real Shocker

In mid July I developed a persistent dry cough triggered by a tickling/burning sensation that occurred whenever I inhaled deeply. I felt "okay" otherwise, with just the overall fatigue and lack of stamina I've long associated with Meniere's Disease and age (now 71). In early August the coughs took on a whistling/wheezing character, and that's when I made a short-notice appointment with our family physician. He sent me for a chest x-ray the same day, and the film showed that fluid or something was totally obscuring most of the right lung. Next came referral to a pulmonologist, draining of the chest cavity (almost a liter of bloody fluid), and a CT scan. Analysis of the fluid did not indicate any cancer or other possible cause, but there were globs or masses of some sort still visible on the CT scan which could not be reduced by further draining via ultrasound-guided needle.

So next came referral to a thoracic surgeon and a 4-hour exploratory surgery which started by scope and progressed into a more invasive thoracotomy through a long incision. Tissue analysis now definitely points to cancer in one lobe of the right lung and in the chest wall, which the surgeon is calling advanced along with the comment "it doesn't look very good." I got home from the hospital Monday and will be seeing the oncologist next week after I've recovered a bit more from the surgery. I should point out that my smoking career lasted only 6 years, from 1957 to 1963, and that I've received all recommended exams and screenings (and more) for at least the past 50 years. At this point I'm not aware of any further tests (such as periodic routine chest x-rays not done since my Air Force years) which would have detected a problem soon enough to change the bottom line outcome.

But hold on, there's more to the shocker story (sort of random):

1. If I'd read the above -- written by someone else -- a couple of months ago, I'd have probably felt really yuk and been reminded of the poor guy who fell into the Ala Wai Canal during last April's floods and died a couple of weeks later after being massively invaded by a flesh-eating bacteria. But I'm in no pain (except what's left over from the incision) and feel just fine emotionally with no need for bravery on my part or sympathy from others.

2. It's easy to get hung up on words such as "incurable," but look at it this way -- don't the majority of people have some condition that could fall into that category? In addition to Meniere's, I've had glaucoma for over 30 years, but with eyedrops my vision is still fine with no peripheral loss and is even back to 20/20 after my cataract operations 3 years ago. Life itself is inherently fatal, and the emphasis should not be on whether something is incurable, but rather on how well symptoms can be controlled to provide an acceptable quality of life for whatever years remain. This becomes even more true as we age.

3. When we hear of incurable cancer, it's normal to recall stories of people who had such horrible side-effects from chemotherapy or radiation that they elected to forgo further treatment and receive only comfort care. But from what I've read the last couple of days (I will know more next week) remarkable progress has been made very recently and it's becoming more and more possible to live, and even live well, WITH cancer.

4. It's in a way refreshing to have a disease that the medical profession actually knows something about and has a chance of treating. This is in no way a criticism of the medical folks in the vestibular field -- I'm sure they are as frustrated as we are. Knowledge and solutions are just much more difficult to come by.

5. If I were in perfect health today, with medical knowledge as it is today, and given a choice between starting my Meniere's experience over from scratch or facing the cancer problem I've outlined above, which would I choose? Would you be shocked if I said I'd choose the cancer?

I can't guarantee I'll feel that way a year or two from now -- it depends on what my cancer does. It may shorten my life, but that's not my primary concern. I can at least plan a little bit into the future. If I'm feeling fairly decent this week, there's a good probability I'll be feeling about the same a week or two from now, and I can plan accordingly. But with Meniere's, until I found the medication that would keep the vertigo episodes at bay, planning ahead became difficult or even impossible. There was no way to tell when an attack might be coming. I could feel fine one minute, and the next minute be on the floor sweating profusely and digging a sick bag out of my pocket. A number of these spectacles occurred in public places, and as a result I cut my business, community, and social activities to an absolute minimum.

Knowing that Meniere's is not life-threatening provides little consolation to those who have it. In fact, that's probably the reason so little is known about the condition. It's not as rare as some might think, but there's little funding for research, and the physicians specially trained for vestibular disorders (neurotologists, not to be confused with neurologists) are few and far between. There wasn't a single one in the state of Hawaii when I was actively seeking help, and now I think there's just one. When I watch Nova on PBS and see one of those photos of a black hole, what I think of is Meniere's.

That's enough for now -- time for my meclizine. Aloha,

Ned

Well OK Connie get out the tissues! :P:roll::lol: This is the bumps in the road in addition to Lung Cancer-- Heart Disease, CHF (Congestive Heart Failure), ITP (Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura), Sleep Apnea, Allergies, AADD (adult Attention Deficit Disorder), Lymphedemma, Neuropathy, Myopathy and Arthritis/Pinched Nerves (up my spine and into my neck). My CHF (Congestive Heart Failure), Sleep Apnea, AADD (adult Attention Deficit Disorder), Lymphedemma, Neuropathy, Myopathy and Arthritis/Pinched Nerves (up my spine and into my neck) all was diagnosed after my Lung Cancer. Also since I was diagnosed with Lung Cancer had two (mild) heart attacks and came to within two days of (because of my ITP, lost so much blood, also had to have chemo for it) dying in 2006. Currently using a cane/walker for assistance and oxygen. I put my journey in my profile for folks to read; don’t really like to post about it unless asked, just give a general update now and then. As my Grandmother used to say It's always something Ricky.

I never viewed anyone’s post dealing with lung cancer or other serious health issues as whining because we all know who are dealing with serious health issues how hard it is and it is not easy or fun. Someone should not feel (as Connie pointed out) they cannot post about their situation, if it helps you go for it. My main concern is how it all plays out for my wife and daughter. I would say for the most part things are not bad overall. Yes things are changing and not for the better but I’m still here, still trying and if I do go I will be kicking and screaming all the way to the cemetery or in my case the (environmentally friendly) crematory. :P:lol: So what keeps me going is staying positive, having a good attitude, never never never giving up, laugh whenever I can and live life to the fullest with my wife and daughter. Just make the best of it and thank God-- still think I'm blessed and very fortunate things are not worse.

I owe it all to my wife, daughter, best friend and a great health care team to get me through all this crap-- could not do it without them!

Great post Connie and I hope we here from others!

Frankly, I’m so glad to be cancer free that my other health problems seem minor. I’m still recovering from a bout of depression, but I choose not take meds for it and rely on my faith instead. Like a lot of folks in their 50s, I take maintenance meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. Right after I finished treatments in 2006, I started having a lot of joint pain which got progressively worse. So now I take Celebrex daily and I have Tramdol for the really bad days. Interestingly, for the past 6 months I’ve been faithfully exercising 3 to 4 times week and I think that has done more to reduce the joint pain than the meds. My blood sugar was high back in August and I was officially diagnosed with type II diabetes a few months ago. I started Byetta in November and I have lost 15 lbs. I had to switch to sugar free dark chocolates and make a few other dietary changes but I have it under control. As I said, compared to some of our friends here, my problems are minor and not a lot different than a lot of guys my age.

My doctor said that if I lose enough weight, I may be able to control my diabetes with just diet and stop taking the Byetta. Are there any diabetics here that have been successful at doing that?

Barb my friend, you missed your calling, you should have been a comedian! :D:lol: TOO TOO FUNNY!

"blaze100"]Hi Connie, :):) I posted :):)

Barb

So what are you saying your HEALTHY? HUMMMM!! Right on cruton!!! :P:P

So, we're going to find out how big of a health hazzard we all really are!! LOL LOL LOL~!

My Dear and Wonderful Friend Pam (nonni) MRS. WORRY WART OF THE WORLD) I love you just the way you are! Aches and pains and your crazy ways! (((NONNI))

Holy Cow Rich, I thought we were going to run out of board room when I started reading yours! :P:lol:

I sure am glad to see your one of the strongest determind wonderful people I know! You go Rich!

Tom, your right, when we get to the point of being cancer free everything else seems like a cake walk. I would have agreed with you before I had 4 open heart surgeries. :shock::wink:

Wow Ned, Meniere's Disease is SUCKY!! My daughters FIL has it. I new my daughters FIL before she did, because he and I use to work together many moons ago. Then we became IN-LAWS! :D None the less, that's a VERY FRUSTRATING disease and it can run havoc on your system. I know Jerry has had his share of ups and downs with it.

I too have had some very rocky roads in the last 12 years I have been on my cancer journey. I lost my son to suicide in 2000 and then I ended up with all this heart problem stuff, and yet, so far the cancer at this time takes back seat to all the other stuff. :roll:

Now if you would have asked me that 10 years ago if cancer was a cake walk, I would have said, NO WAY RAY!! Funny how things change. Yet, sometimes I look around and I see people much worse off then I am and that's when I have to STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES and COUNT MY BLESSING! And I do! :wink:

I hope others will join in with this thread. I'm feeling better each day, although this time around the road has been bumpy and I've been moving very slowly. Not recovering as fast as I would like, but today has been a good day and that's GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!! :wink: