Newly diagnosed with Lung Cancer

Renate

I am a 71 year old female, healthy exercise 5 Days a week and felt great until, I received a routine Chest x ray which showed some abnormalties. The a CT scan, which showed 2 Nodules of the right upper lobe suspicious for neoplasm. A enlarged pretracheal lymph node was also seen.

Then a Pet Scan was done. The nodules are highly suspicious for metastatic disease, with abnormal FDG uptake.

The lymph node is also suspicious for metastatic disease.

A biopsy was done 2/5/08 last Tuesday. Have not heard anything, not results yet.

Also saw a Thoracic Surgeon, he said my only option would be Chemo & radiation.

Is there anybody who has the same kind of Lung Cancer and can you share whatever you went through. Any reply is greatly appreciated

Renate-

Once you get the biopsy results and find out what stage you are, you will have a better idea where you stand. Many members here are doing well with chemo and radiation. I am glad you found us. Keep us posted on how things go. Welcome to the board.

Rochelle

Welcome, Renate. I think before you get answers, you will need a little more information and then put in a Profile (like what we all have beneath our names). You will find My Profile in the purple section at the top of this page.

Once you have that included with all the info, there will be many folks chiming in with their expertise. In the meantime, glad you found us here and hope to be able to offer you support.

Kasey

Hi, Renate, welcome to the group! I too was 71 when diagnosed with lung cancer. That was 17 months ago and I'm doing okay -- you can read the exciting details in my profile below. When you get your biopsy you can let us know the specific cell type and what treatment options are presented. You're sure to find some here who have been through almost exactly the same thing and are ready to help you through this.

Also, may I suggest that you visit onctalk.com. There's a wealth of information there, primarily on lung cancer, constantly updated by a Seattle oncologist who is an internationally-recognized expert on lung cancer and who gives high priority to promptly answering questions from people like you and me. A lot of us have "dual citizenship" so to speak, and have the same usernames there as here.

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Welcome Renate. I think you will find lots of information and support here. Let us know your biopsy results when you get them and your treatment plans. No matter what Your Onc. suggests, several or many people here have already had that experience and can offer lots of info. and advice.

Muriel

Hello to everybody. I am amazed about all your answers and support. I am so glad I found this board. As soon as I have the test results from the Biopsy and the Treatment options I will write again.

I live in Atlanta and go the Emory University Winship Cancer Clinic, they are very specialized, I feel I am in good hands.

I have read all your Profiles and I am already very scared, when I read about all your sufferings and pains you had endured.

Last but not least, I would like you to know, I am from Germany and came to States when I was already 20 years out of school, therefore, please overlook any spelling mistakes.

Renate

Dear Renate,

Welcome, and let me first say, we're not here to judge anyone on there spelling abilities. :wink:

I have an Aunt that is from Germeny and my husband was stationed in Germeny. Plus I use to be half German until we learned my mom really wasn't 100% German but rather her family had fled France and she is 100% French like my dad! :shock::wink:

Well enough said about all that. Please know this is a scary journey to embark on, but we will ALL tell you that it is DOABLE! Some of us work at it harder then others, and some of us fly through our treatments like a breeze. None the less, we all know what it's like to walk this walk and we are more then happy to help you through the rough spots as well as the easy ones.

Each day is a blessing and It's Another Great Day To Be Alive! We only have today! :wink:

Sending positive vibes your way for good results on your tests.

How funny, Connie. I used to be German, too. Those ancestors actually came from Alsace, which was a part of Germany for a while. They spoke German. In census data, one year they were French, one year German, and one, Alsatian. The rest of my "German" ancestors came from places not called Germany at the time they immigrated (Pommern, later Prussia, Germany, Poland/East German - after WW II; and Luxembourg, but spoke German). I got these surprises in searching census data and "stuff" at the MN History Center.

My husband comes from a "simple" German family. Simple in the sense they came from Darmstadt (near Frankfurt).

Welcome, again, Renate. Is that pronounced Ra na tah?

Muriel

Bonsoir Connie & Muriel,

:roll: I love this Board already, all of you make me feel so comfortable.

My Mother came with her parents to Germany from Grenoble. My Brother used to live in Strassbourg with his American wife.And I came over here on a Company transfere for 5 Years, that was in 1974.

Y'all have a nice weekend, this is the only Southern thing I have adapted to.

Bon huit,

Renate

Welcome Renate..sorry you had to find us but glad you did. This is a wonderful site with alot of amazing and informative people. Once you get "staged" and you get treatment options folks will have better answers for your questions. Just a quick tip for you when you go for the results. Take a friend with you and also take a tape recorder. The doc shouldn't mind and its very helpful to go back over exactlly what was said. Some of us don't remember all of the conversation and its a good way to be able to go over it. Our prayers are with you.

Peace out

Mary and hawkeye

Welcome Renate. You should come to Minnesota. Lots of people here of German descent. My husbands grandparents were and the town they were born in , Gaylord, Mn you could talk to anyone in German and they would understand.

One thing I should warn you about though, it is -13 degrees here today with a windchill of about -49 degrees. They says if you go out today with exposed skin you will have frost bite in less than 10 minutes.

Keep us posted on how things are going

DonnaG

Welcome here. You can ask us any questions and someone will have answers for you. First we have to find out what kind of LC and what your staging is.

Please keep us posted and know there are many treatments out there that work. I know how stress you are but know you are not alone, we are here.

Keep a positive attitude as that is half the battle.

Maryanne

Just received a call from Doctor's office.

Diagnosis: non small Cell Cancer Stage 3 A

They told me, a Radiologist, Surgeon, Oncologist and Pulmonary Doctor will have a meeting tonight and discuss what kind of traetment option there are for me and they will let me know tomorrow.

I am in shock and scared to dead.

Can somebody please tell me, where can I find answers to staging, would like to read about it.

And I always find the word " NED " in your posts. What does this mean. I have to learn from all of you. There are so many Abreviations I do not understand.

Thanks to all of you for your support.

Renate

It is good that you hve a surgeon being consulted along with the others. That means that right now surgery is not ruled out ~ and that is a very GOOD thing.

For staging info, go to the NSCLC and Mesothelioma forum. The very first post there by Katie explains staging. And NED stands for No Evidence of Disease.

Thanks for the update and be sure to keep us posted. Many here will be anxious to hear what the plan for you will be. Things will now get underway and start falling into place, once a treatment is decided upon.

Kasey

Well Renate, I was dx.d a stage IIIA before I had surgery then they found during surgery I was a IIIB because it had spread. (see my Profile Below). My point is, I am still here and there are a LOT of IIIA's and IIIB's floating around this world and are long term survivors.

Don't hit that panic button just yet, this is still beatable. I'll give you a day or so to walk around in a fog, :wink::roll: but then you have to pull up your boot strings and go kick some cancer butt!

Sounds like you have an aggressive team of doc's. That's a GOOD THING!!!

We're here to walk the walk with you. Your not alone!!

Thanks Connie, read your whole story, it is unbelievable what you went through. And it has been for a long time, and it hit you so young.

Yes, I am in a fog right now. I am a strong person, they say, I hope I will be strong, but very scared.

Thanks for answering so fast.

Renate

• 1 month later...

I was diagnozed with Stage 3A NSC lung cancer and it's inoperable. The tumor stretches over the 3 lobes of right lung, covering the pulmonary artery.

It's also in the center of the chest and close to the heart.

I received very aggressive chemo and radiation in October and November 2007. I did fairly well through the treatment though I crashed in late November and was very ill for a few weeks.

I feel really good now. Still a lot of inflamation from the treatment. The tumor had shrunk significantly by January. I will probably be scheduled for another Scan in April to take a look.

I feel really good physically and emotionally and quite positive about the cancer receeding.

I have yet to meet Survivors with similar cancer that have NOT had surgery. Everyone seems to have had surgery.

Margot