Sign in to follow this  
KatieB

What do YOU do...?

Is there something you do to lift your spirits when they are low?

Anything in particular that makes you smile when you're having a rotten day?

How about (drug-free/alcohol-free) stress or anxiety relievers?

If you do something that helps you thru a tough day, post it here.

It may well be something that can help someone else thru a really rough time.

Hugs,

sit out on my patio and watch the clouds or stars ddepnding on weather. Or Watch the birdies out the front window eating and Playing on Bird feeder!! Sounds nuts but it works...

I clean a room and then read a few pages of a fiction book to escape and I usually feel much better. Tickling my kids is always uplifting-I love their innocent laughs.

I have a friend who likes to go shopping and buy something to give to a friend out of the blue. She feels much better when she brightens someone elses day.

Mendy

I try to find pictures

of happy animal to help

me change my mood.

That is why I posted some

furry faces on Just for a laugh

this morning.

Try to find in my souvenirs

an occasion that was really

funny and carefree.

I keep a clean joke book around

and look at a few.

Nature helps all is so open

and you may find just the

special bird, flower or

bad weed that could make

you feel better.

Jackie

I don't do this often enough (believe me), but when I recognize that I am too stressed out or upset, exercise really does help me. I also email friends or family I haven't heard from in awhile. Reading a funny book, or taking a drive with the music blaring helps, too.

Kelly

Katie, great topic!

I've put many things into practice this week, as it's been an unusually tough one.

Here's what I did this week:

1. Made a couple important decisions for myself regarding current circumstances in which I felt stuck. Rather than listening to the "I should do" voice, I listened to the "I need to do" voice. Immediately felt a weight lift and a sense of empowerment (some things are in my control).

2. Do something productive that I've been procrastinating. Preferably something where I can see a difference. For the past three days, I've been working outside trying to make things look pretty.

3. Do something to help someone else (I know this was mentioned already). I finally got off my butt and sponsored a child in Mexico. THAT'S only been put off for 5 years or more.

4. Spend time with someone you enjoy being around. I had movie night with my good friend, Meg, and accepted an invitation to happy hour with some former workmates. I really didn't feel like going, but ended up enjoying myself and the company.

5. Last, but by no means least, pray -- even if I feel like God is a zillion miles away in those darkest hours, and all I can muster up is one feeble sentence.

Two days ago I couldn't even see a glimmer of hope of the dark cloud lifting and hadn't been able to get through a day without sobbing for over a week. At this moment I can do both. I have to admit, the sunshine is helping too.

Kids make all my problems go away!!! Be it Grandkids, Friends Kids, Pictures of Kids, Neighbor's Kids. Kids just make life all better.

Puppies and Kitty's do too! But I'm not up to par to have puppies and kitty's anymore. I have my Dawson Dog.

When I'm totally stressed I walk the beach or just walk around the neighborhood (sp?) It gets me out of myself. When I'm walking the beach I feel closer to God and have an easier time talking to Him.

Bottom line, for me, walking......

wendyr

I guess since I am home all day with the kids, I find getting OUT to be my therapy. When the walls close in, the kids are arguing, the house is a mess...that's when I really miss being able to call my mom and laugh it off, or get in the car to go see her and Dad, etc. I pile the kids in the car and go somewhere, anywhere! My husband has been working until 8:00 every night, so the other night I was so stressed and in a puddle of tears over Mom and I finally pulled myself up, got the kids ready and off we went to a new restaurant around the corner. Once I got there I was wondering what the heck I was thinking, with three small kids and no one else to help me control the chaos while waiting to be served...but you know what, it was great. We had fun.

I also find singing at the top of lungs in the car to upbeat music to be great therapy. Of course "I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night" by KISS came on the other day when I was in the van with the kids (so NOT cool, that's me)...and I told my son "You'll LOVE this song, let's rock it out!" and we were doing air drums and flinging our heads around and such, I was feeling good...then I looked over and next to me there was a car stuffed with teenage boys just pointing at me and laughing HYSTERICALLY. So much for rockin' it out at 41 years old in a minivan....

Getting into a good novel really helps you get away from reality a bit. I also like to listien to books on tape.

Many suggestions here, I hope you are feeling better. It's a different day and at times that helps.

My heart to yours Katie... always.

Maryanne

It's been good weather here for almost two weeks now, and that's really helping. I'm beginning to seriously think that I might have Seasonal Affective Disorder. I feel like I'm waking up from hibernation.

Walking for about an hour most mornings with my neighbor and good friend helps too. And remembering to take my vitamins and calcium every day and not just sometimes seems to help.

I'm actually starting to get back into some house and yard projects.

Lot of good ideas already, but I'll share mine as well.

Exercise...I started back up before Christmas and remembered, one that I'm old, but two how much it really helps. My latest workout is up to over and hour, between the treamill, boxing and lifting weights. If I beat myself up enough, I'm too tired to do anything else.

Hiking / Walking -- I love being outside, and we've had not such a bad winter so I've been trying to get out and see the woods. It's a lot different than when I'm hunting, but has the same calming effect. I always feel at home in the woods. If it's crazy cold, I have actually found peace wandering aimlessly through the KOP mall. I don't shop, so it's not a problem for me just to walk around and do nothing.

The driving and the radio blasting, well that's daily therapy for me. Everyday to and from work, I get 45 minutes in the morning and 45 in the afternoon.

in reality, it can be anything for anyone, mostly I think it's about finding something that allows you to FOCUS on anything other than what's got you down.

Excercise helps me sometimes. Somedays I just try to keep myself busy with anything that will make me thinking about anything but having cancer. Lunch with some former co-workers is good too - they make me feel like I am still a part of the group, and I think I need that sometimes.

And of course, spending as much time as I can with Jack. He always finds a way to make me smile :lol:

A good cry seems miserable at the time, but it always seems to cleanse me, especially when I let out all my woes to a listening family member or friend. Then, the next day, as Don would say, I feel "more better". Just gotta get it out!

Love,

Peggy

Peggy - I totally agree. Some days I just have to let it out and have a good cry and talk to a good friend who is willing to listen. I am lucky to have a great sister and some really great friends who don't mind listening to me. Sometimes I just need to vent and it helps to have someone there to hear me and remind me of how far I have come. It reminds that maybe I can do this - the road is just bumpy sometimes.

Thanks for all of these wonderful suggestions guys!

I couldn't add to this thread simply because I "hide" when I am having a bad day. I go off alone and shut down, so to speak, or drown myself in work and can't sit still, just stay super busy- not very healthy things to do, but it's what I do.

I KNOW it will help others to read this thread and try out these suggestions on those "not so good" days.

THANK YOU!

I think of wonderful childhood memories with my folks or special memories with my in laws that made me happy. Then I appreciate how thankful I am to have had those special times and they bless my heart and make the day ahead worth living.

I do think it needs to be said (maybe it already has and I missed it) that sometimes you just need to allow yourself a bad day or series of days. Sometimes the healthiest thing is to go with it, rather than fight it. I think we live in a "quick fix" society that doesn't like to see sadness. When you've lost someone dear to you, there's sadness. And that's ok. And hopefully after those particularly dark days have passed, we experience a renewed strength and resolve to fight on bravely -- as all of our loved ones did.

I have been thinking about this question a lot since it was posted - and how I would answer it. I pray, I go to the shore and watch the seagulls, I call a friend. But, yesterday I had a really bad day and realized that when I am having a bad one - I go to bed and sleep. And for me that is the best medicine. I think it is because my worse days are the ones that I have done too much, pushed myself to exhaustion and then I don't have the strength to be strong.