failure to thrive...

kaneohegirl

so my dad is in the hospital again... he has a UTI and a possibility of Pneumonia, and dehydration... and a failure to thrive....currently not on any treatment...but wants to be but too weak

failure to thrive... shoots the man I have to harrass to eat... to drink water...

so now I worry he is on the downward slide... is he dying?... just sick? ... depressed? I dont know...

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. Both of my parents wanted to eat in the course of their diseases, but just couldn't.

Where did you hear that phrase "failure to thrive"? Did someone say it to you and your Dad? If so, that is not appropriate. Sometimes we use phrases in the hospital just for diagnosis sake that are not the definitive answer--but a way to catagorize. Often times for insurance payment.

My best to you and your Dad.

the "failure to thrive" statement came out of the Dr's own mouth...with a meaningful look at me... at which I kept my brain on hold for 5 mins after he left the room with the excuse of getting a candy bar went to the waiting room used my cell phone to call the nurses station an asked for the wonderful nurse that had been very knowledgable and kind to come to the waiting room...at which point I almost lost it.

but she reassured me that it is a nutricional Dx... that he isnt taking in enough nutricion to support his body and he needs to eat more to get it... and the cause could be from him not being hungary, to deppression, or even just not wanting to...

the thing that gets me is there is NOTHING they can do about the Bp... its WAY too low... 83/49 sets off the Bp alarms... so Im concerned that if he does develop the pneumonia itll be too much for him.

As they push fluids and nutrition in him it should help with the blood pressure. Dehydration causes you to lose your sense of thirst and hunger so hopefully the fluid will help his appetite. Hopefully he won't develop an infection and all will be well. Keep us posted on how he is doing.

been to the hospital 2x today... Dad is wipped out... he cant stay awake... he will start to talk to me an drop off mid sentance or try to read the paper an slips off... He has had fevers all through the night...they ordered blood cultures and have done a nose swab for the flu... BP is still very low...

I will go back tonight an see what they have to say...

the general Dr is baffled... they have called in a Infectious Disease Dr to rule out any Infectious disease they cant figure out...they have drawn so much blood (for blood cultures) he is very grouchy about it and they want more tomorrow.

They have called in the Oncology partner for my Dads Dr and she ordered a new chest Xray to compare with the last one a few days ago as well as a CT. but she also wants the Infectious Disease Dr to rule out anything.

he is so weak he cant barely lift a cup. and they want him to do PT tomorrow...that should be interesting. BP is still low and he has diminished breath sounds even after RT has done a treatment...

he is ANGRY that no one can tell him whats wrong with him... Which is the first emotion I have seen out of him since this all started...

I am so very sorry to hear all your dad is going through. I wish I could give you something to help. My moms BP was very low also. Since she had been on high blood preassure meds they took her off and that helped.

I hope tomorrow brings the answers you are looking for and your dad can feel better.

Dana

still in the hospital...they have changed to a oral antibiotic and feel they may transfer him to a skilled nursing facility for more care/rehab.

nurse that has been the main care giver feels that we need to bring hospice in soon as he doesnt attempt to eat enough to sustain himself. she feels he is soo weak that she doesnt think there will be alot of time left.

BP is still low as they are weaning him off the IV he is supposed to drink more but has not been as a result his bp is starting to drop again

I dont know what to do.

Did they have any information on the blood cultures yet? I would think that if he can't eat or drink much, they should keep him on the IV's. Maybe you should get another opinion on exactly what's going on with his blood pressure. Are they sure he isn't septic? That will make the bp go down.

all blood cultures have come back negative.... they are pretty confused as to what may have caused the fevers... its been a day and a half with no fever so the oncologist an the Infectious disease drs cant exsplain it because its not indicative of other things and doesnt present with other things...