It's back and I need some info

cathyr

Well friends, I had two years of a good run and now it looks like the dreaded "c" is back. :( It's on the left side of the lung again. I had a lobectomy to remove the upper left lobe two years ago. The lower lobe inflates to take up the empty space. Well, there's a malignancy on the lower lobe. I'm going to have to have another surgery to remove the lower lobe and then a follow-up with chemo. They were initially afraid that a lymph node on the left and a spot on the right would light up as well, but the PET scan is only showing a tumor on the left lung as cancerous.

The question is has anyone gone through two lobectomies. I know some of you have and I wondered is it about the same as the first. The surgeon will cut in the original incision. I did not have a very difficult recovery, but I wonder how the second one will be. What have any of you experienced with this. Also, how long do they wait before doing chemo after a lobectomy? I did not have chemo the first time around. This will be new to me. I think I dread the chemo more than the surgery.

Anyway, I have an appt. with the oncologist Monday. Hopefully, he will have had time to talk to the surgeon by then. I am just so sorry this had to happen right around the holidays. I was thinking of asking if I could postpone the surgery for 2 weeks until Thanksgiving is over, but I don't know if that's wise.

Any information you guys can supply would be very appreciated. My prayers go out to all of us.

Cathy

Cathy,

I can't help you with any of your questions but I just needed to answer your post.

I want you to know that I'm sorry you have to go through this again. It's just not fair, is it? But it sounds like there's a solid plan in place and that in the long run, things will be okay.

Wishing you all the luck in the world and will be thinking of you!

Cathy:

I have been through two surgeries, although neither was a lobectomy. Both my surgeries were resections, but, nonetheless, I had my ribs spread twice in the same location. The surgeon even used the same incision. I will say, overall, the second surgery went better than the first for recovery. The first surgery, I had problems with my lung reinflating, and ended up being discharged, after 11 days, with a chest tube still in place. I had that chest tube for a total of 3 weeks. After my second surgery both chest tubes were out in 5 days and I was discharged after 6 days. The recovery was much better and did not last as long as the first. The only problem I have had is residual discomfort in the right upper abdomen do to nerve damage from the two surgeries.

I hope this information helps, even though I didn't have a lobectomy.

Cathy,

I have no experience in any lung surgeries, but is it possible to check with Cedars-Sinai...they have perfected a less invasive approach. I researched this about a year and a half ago when I thought I might be a candidate for surgery. I presently travel 100 miles from home to be treated at Cedars-Sinai Cancer Center and have nothing but good to report about the experience. Dr. McKenna is the doctor you would want to contact re less invasive surgery.

Best of luck with your surgery and recovery. I'll be watching to hear of your healing.

Peace and blessings,

Margaret

Cathy,

Rats and double rats!!! I am so sorry about your news, but your attitude still sounds strong. I'll be praying that things go well for you. Please keep us posted on your progress as you have energy. As far as when to have it done, I'd suggest sooner rather than later as you now have no evidence of distant mets. Best of luck to you.

I'm completely out of the loop on most of the threads because I'm new, so this might not be an accurate question, but are you getting a VATS? The VATS video assisted thorasic surgery type is supposedly a lot easier than the old type of surgery. I don't know what criteria they use to determine who can use the VATS or not. Maybe they can't do it for a full lobectomy. One of my pulmos said that the VATS is no big deal (of course, it's not him getting it done!!) He said they just insert tubes in the three holes that the surgeon creates and they remove the tumor. No broken ribs and no full incision. Recovering time is smaller.

I'm sorry that you both have to go through all of this again. It's not fair. But the more I'm reading on the boards, the more I see that people have an enormous capacity for physical and mental strength when their backs are against the wall. People seem to come out of these battles stronger. I admire you're ability to fight this. I think that's a good sign for a bright future.

Cathy,

I have not had two surgeries, but I did have chemo after surgery. My chemo started about 8 weeks after surgery. I could have started earlier, but had plans to be out of town, and oncologist said it would be ok to wait 8 weeks. Chemo sure isn't fun, but it's doable. My advice would be to stay hydrated and to be faithful to the anti-nausea meds that are prescribed. I really only had a couple of days where I could not function, but mostly continued to work full time. Also, get plenty of sleep---I thought I could fight that and that if I kept pushing I would just eventually start feeling better--that is not the way to do it. Be good to yourself during chemo--it just goes better if you don't push yourself. I hope this helps.

It sucks girl!!!!

That is how I felt when I was told I had breast cancer for the second time. And that round included the chemo. I did not have chemo with the lung, but would have if they had advised it.

My story with chemo: A chemo nurse-friend advised me to take Ativan before I even got to the chemo. She said they gave that during the drip, but advised me taking it sooner. It certainly did make life simpler. Check our the oncologist carefully. I went with a local doctor, 'cause I thought the city was too far. Am sorry I did. The city hospital had much more finesse to it. Their chemo rooms were private with VCR's. Mine was given in a big room with lots of people. My doctor sent me home twice with out chemo because my counts were too low. In the city, that doctor gave nuprigin each time if counts were too low.

I will be thinking of you and sending you warm thoughts.

gail

Cathy,

I am so sorry that you must go through this again but am glad they can operate and get it out. It is always better out then in.

Hang tough as I know you will. Don't put off the operation. We thought the same thing for Buddy but decided the operation is much more important than the turkey.

I had my left lung removed a while ago and I asked about Chemo. Both my surgen and pulminaly spec. said not needed and there was no eveidance that it does any thing. Now they found proof that it does help and is recomended. I think that was one thing I should of insisted on but didnt.

God Bless you And I think you will be fine.

Hi Cathy;

So very sorry the beast came back, :( Think I kind of agree with Gail, it just plain "sucks" :x I had my whole lung removed first time around so I can't really help ya with your questions, But more than anything I wanted to wish you well and let ya know I'll be praying real hard for you.

I suppose on a positive note they did find it early enough for it to be operable again, just sucks to have to do it again, feel for ya!! :(

God bless, be well and hang in there

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"