Can We Talk about all the other "stuff"?

Ry

Years ago, when my sister died, we weren't close. But living in the same city, with the same last name, her creditors did track me down.

I never had any financial info or connection with her - so all I told them was that it was none of my business, and no, I was not interested in paying off her debt. I didn't send anyone death certificates either. I got the occasional call for the next few years, but never paid anyone a penny. So, if you don't have joint accounts, I don't think you are obligated to pay the creditors anything (probably does not release a spouse). I'm neither a lawyer or an accountant, so don't quote me. But before anyone negotiates a settlement, make sure you have an obligation.

Nothing related to this ever showed up on my credit report either.

Thanks, ts. No, I am not personally obligated but her estate is -- for medical and consumer debt. I can clear her car lease (eventually) and her student loans, but the rest has to be dealt with creditor by creditor, unfortunately. And my personality is such that I need to clear things now, rather than have loose ends and wonder about a lawsuit years down the road. Also, I'm the executor of the estate so that makes me a fiduciary. I'm an officer of the court b/c of my profession. If I screw up as a fiduciary badly enough I can lose my license. Yadda yadda yadda. I am glad you didn't have to deal with all of this crap.

Also, I have to probate her will in order to clear title to her coop. Blech. I will be so happy when all of this is done.

• 1 month later...