Question about pain med?

Guest hearrean

Guest hearrean

My esophagus has gotten so painful from the radiation treatments, I asked the Radiation Onc yesterday if there was something stronger he could give me to get me through these last (9) IMRT treatments & (1) chemo. (He had given me liquid Hydrocodone, but it only helped a little).

He gave me a prescrip for a Fentanyl patch (25 mcg/h). I filled it last night, but haven't tried it yet after looking it up on-line. It appears to be quite the nasty/controversial med & has even caused some deaths, etc. Now I don't know what to do; whether to chance it or just suffer through. Does anyone have any experience with this drug? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Ken

Ken, I have used that drug more then once. Never had any problems with it. I know several people that used it as well, and they too didn't have any problems.

Keep in mind when they offer the information about side effects on drugs, they HAVE to post all even if (ONE PERSON out of 1000000) died they have to post that statement. That patch has been around for a while now. Also keep in mind they don't tell you how old the people were that may have passed, or what health issues they had, etc., etc., etc.,

As for the your esopagus, does cold or hot things seem to give any comfort? Or even if you put something on your neck, warm or cold. Many moons ago when I did my radiation they gave me that magic mouth wash and that didn't do a thing for me. It numbed my throat for about 10 minutes and that was it. I just bit the bullet and suffered with the discomfort. I know that's not fun, and as I said before it my throat felt like there was cut glass in it, You might get some comfort over the weekend being off the radiation.

I'm sure others will chime in here and maybe someone will have something that will work for you. If it were me, I would use the Fentanyl patch! :wink:

Good luck and best wishes.

Guest hearrean

Thanks Connie; actually I have to be careful with anything too hot or cold as that really hurts my throat. One of the initial prescrip meds I was given was a 3-part solution which deadens my throat, but like you, it only helps for a few minutes while I try & swallow things.

But I may have to just bite the bullet & take the patch & just see what happens.

Thanks,

Ken

My husband too had an awful time with his painful esophagus due to radiation burn. He did use the Fentanyl patch with good results. Just be careful and take a stool softener if you're prone to contstipation from narcotics.

Ken, it will get better in time. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. Stay strong

Ken,

I am sorry you have to go through this. I also had the same issues. Nothing helped, I tried the patch also but it made me sick. I had to take radiation a week off before I finished my last 10 days of radiation. I lived on Chicken and Noodles only Campbells homestyle only for 3 months. I wish I could give you some advise. Stay strong, I will pray for you.