New here- mum was just diagnosed with SCLC

Hey all, iam Allie, iam 23, and from the united kingdom, near London.

my Mum was diagnosed with Small Cell Lung Cancer on the 12th febuary 2008, so its all still sinking in for me and my family.

it started really in january, me and mum both had really nasty colds(mine turned out to be bronchitus) but i went to the doctors. it took mum another few weeks to go, that was only because she started to cough up blood and i insisted she go, well her GP sent her for a chest xray then she went and got the results and it had shown a shadow on her left lung, so we had to go see a thorasic/respiritory consultant a week later, he said it was just pnumonia but wanted her to have a bronchoscopy done as a precaution as she is a smoker, anyway the biopsy came back showing up cancer so she had to have a ct scan done, then we saw him on the 12th and he told us it was SCLC in the limited stage as far as they could tell, but that is was inoperable, and he had talked to the oncologist,and if my mums lungs are up to it they want to do chemoradiation on her, we go and see him on tuesday to see if her lungs are okay after the lung function test last tuesday, and if she can have treatment or not,and to talk about everything.

we all want to know how much time she has left with or without treatment, but iam also scared to hear it aswell, cause i dont know what ill do if they say there is nothing they can do and it will be a matter of months or something.

i never thought in my wildest dreams that id have to be tackling this at 23 years old.

iam so scared about loosing my mum, i still need her so much.

iam trying so had to be strong for her, all i feel is both angry and numb all the time. is this normal, i thought id be crying all the time, but i havent cried since we got the news, i dont know wether thats cause it hasnt really sunk in for me yet, cause iam a very emotional person and i cry really easily, where something this big and ive hardly cried when i thought id be a mess!!!

Allie

xoxox

Allie,I am so sorry about the news of your mother.I know it comes as a great shock and almost overwhelming at first.There are many long term survivors here with sclc.I would reccommend you go to that forum and read the sticky by Don.It sounds good that they caught your moms at a limited stage.My prayers go out for your mother and you at this difficult time.Mike

Hello Allie, welcome to our group. You'll find a lot of support and information here. I know that when you first get the diagnosis it's like a bomb has gone off in the middle of your life but your Mum is fortunate in the fact that the sclc is limited and there is much hope. Let us know how we can help you and please keep us posted on her treatment plan and progress.

wendyr

Welcome, I am so sorry to hear that your mom has this diagnosis. I understand your feelings. My mom was diagnosed with sclc in Feb 07. Yur emotions will come. It is a roller coaster ride. I want you to know to keep hope. There many long term survivors of sclc. I pray for your family. Let us know any news we are here to help.

Prayers to your family,

Dana

Hi Allie-

Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear about your moms diagnosis.

When you see the doctor, please bring paper and pencil with you and write down everything he/she says. That first appt with the onc can be overwhelming and you want to make sure you heard everything correctly.

You say you want to know how much time your mom has left - well, the doctors will throw some old, out of date statistics at you. So many of us here have long outlived any statistics that were given to us. Bottom line is, the docs don't know how long she has. Or any of us, for that matter.

Stay positive, hand in there and get ready to help your mom with the fight of her life. She is very lucky to have you beside her.

Hugs - Patti B.

Allie,

I know you must be scared, cancer is a huge thing and it takes some time to sink in. I too have limited sclc, I was diagnosed August 07, it definitely has been a roller coaster ride. There is hope though, cancer doesn't have to be a death sentence.

I also know how hard that all of this must be on you. I have 4 daughters, my oldest will be 20 in June. When I told her about the cancer it was one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do, and I know it hit her like a ton of bricks, you could see the pain in her face. But it has brought all of us a lot closer to each other.

Stay strong for your mom, she is going to need you. And if you ever need anything pm me. Your mother and you will be in my prayers.

Bobbie

Allie,

I am so sorry you need to be here. Cancer is a horrible disease that robs us of all normalcy. But here is where I say, put on the fighting gloves, because it CAN be beat.

You ask about time with or without treatment. I don't know specifics, as of course, everyone is different, and anything you read is just genreal rather than specific...but here is what I would have to say...I do know it is one of the fastest growing cancers that exists. It starts taking over and "moving" around the body.

This cancer IS beatable, as many can testify here, including my dad. But get the treatment started...that would be one of the biggest things. Treatment is no fun, but encourage mom to keep her eye on the prize.

Blessings to you.

Jen

Allie - I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, and this roller coaster is just starting for you. I am 33 and my mom lived almost 2 years with lung cancer. There are new treatments out every month, so people are living with this disease. Be positive for your mom (she needs it) and LIVE life for the now - it's hard not to think about the "what if's" but try too, you will have no regrets.

Hello Allie:

I am new here too, and just wanted to say how sorry I am for your Mum's diagnosis, but also to say that you have found a wonderful support site here. Cancer has affected so many of us in so many ways (in addition to my husband's current situation, I lost my Mom to ovarian cancer when I was 32) and we need all the support we can get -- and give -- to help each other and, ultimately to beat this disease. I hope you will find both good information and support here. Let us know how the appointment went.

Jane