Right lung/shoulder pain

loramu

Just wondering if you all could share your chest pain experiences with me? I have been suffering from a pretty severe cough for the last month or so, but all of a sudden today I woke up with severe pain in my right lung/shoulder area. It hurts more related to movement than it does to breathing, but it does still hurt quite a bit when exhaling during a cough as well. I am hoping that the sudden onset is just indicative of a pulled muscle, but of course am worried that it's something more dire. I will be calling my doctor in the morning, but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Thanks so much.

Lori

Lori,

I know that it is possible to break ribs with violent spasms that can be caused by coughing or sneezing. If your bones are in a weakened state, either through treatment or mets, this can add to the possibility of a broken rib.

...or it could be a pulled muscle...

...or it could be a referred pain that is actually coming from somewhere else - for example, being kicked in the hip and feeling pain down your leg due to the sciatic nerve.

It may be nothing to panic over, but if it is intense, it's something to discuss with your medical team.

Good thoughts coming your way,

Becky

Lori,

Does the pain go away with Tylenol? If a mild pain reliever handles it, than it's usually not a big deal or so our oncologist used to tell us.

Becky hit all the possible scenarios.

Any pain you have will naturally flip the cancer switch on in your mind -- it's a way of life now. I'm sorry. Call the doc if you're really worried. Peace of mind is everything.

Best wishes,

Welthy

Lori-

Could be muscular in nature - coughing a lot will do that. I remember when I had pneumonia and was coughing so violently I pulled lots of muscles.

I have been having pain in my lung area for a couple of months now - its like I can feel my lung. Have had two CAT scans since this started - all stable. Doctor seems to think it is either muscular or possibly caused by the chemo.

I agree its good to touch base with your doctor - if nothing else but to ease your mind. Every single ache and pain these days becomes so frightening.....

Wishing you the best - Patti B.

Thank you so much for your responses. I ended up having a CT scan today and it turns out I have a small blood clot, which is the cause of my pain. I also have significant compression in my right bronchial tube, which is worrisome for the cancer growing. My doctor is sending me for a bronchoscopy next week to find out for sure. Geez, so far this year it's been one setback after another, but I'm hopeful that once I get this cough cleared up I will finally be on the mend. I was so lucky to have my first year of the battle be relatively easy.