Radiation done chemo starting

paperback

So my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 nsclc on jan 2nd she had one brain met which was removed surgically. All went well with that and they are debating brain radiation now. Because she had some trouble breathing and there was slight growth in the lung tumor they did a long round of radiation. Now the doctor is starting chemo next week and he said that the radiation will surely shrink the tumor and infected lymph nodes to a point where we can't see them. He mentioned that there is microscopic disease all over the bloodstream which is what the chemo is meant to kill. Do you think he is just being hopeful that the radiation will work, or is he speaking from a factual place. He said based on her breathing and overall health it is indicated to have worked well. Is it possible that my mom could go from stage 4 with a brain met to NED for a while? Maybe even years? She is feeling well, the radiation had no side effects for her, she's gaining weight and moving around, her voice even sounds clearer. Do the expectations of the dr seem fathomable at this point?

"paperback"] Is it possible that my mom could go from stage 4 with a brain met to NED for a while? Maybe even years?[quote]

Of course it's possible. Anything is possible. People do it all the time, not just lung cancer patients but any late stage cancer patient can beat the odds, I know I DID!! :wink:

I think your mom's doctor is a breath of FRESH AIR that he is being so POSITIVE and is so HOPEFUL. I wish MORE doctor's were like that. There are two sides to being a lung cancer survivor/patient, those that don't make it and those that do. That doctor is telling her SHE CAN MAKE IT! :D Good for HIM!! And she very well may do that. I'm going to go with the doc and say, she can do this. :wink:

I have a lady in my Lung Cancer Support Group (Carol) who is a Stage IV 8 year lung cancer survivor and she is STABLE to this day! :wink:

My best wishes to your mom. Tell her there's another Lung Cancer Survivor here that is cheering her on! :D:wink:

Thanks, the thing is I know it's important to keep a positive mind set and all of that but I want to be realistic. I'm not sure if he's trying to keep our spirits up or giving us the absolute fact. I'm a more logical person than emotional. I like to know what I'm handling.

I am being realistic and I'm sure her doctor is too when we says people live YEARS! That's a FACT! Not all do, but on the other hand MANY DO! So, it's a 50/50 shot. Being hopeful in this situation is also being realistic. Even if he IS trying to keep her spirits up, whats wrong with that? He's a doctor, not God, and he is giving her hope and he's not giving her doom and gloom. As a Lung Cancer Survivor Myself, I would rather have a doctor keep my spirits up and give me hope rather then tell me I have (X) amount of time to live, (when in fact he/she doesn't know that for sure)

We have many people on this board who are stage IV lung cancer survivors and they have been beating the odds for 3, 4, 5, + years. I've been around lung cancer patients for MANY MANY MANY years, and I have seen many many many many stage IV lung cancer survivors live long and normal lives. That is REALISTIC! :wink:

Thank you Connie for reminding us of that! I am also grateful that my most wonderful Oncologist has never given me an expiration date. He instead told me that we would have to work hard to first get me to five years. I'll take that for now.

Lilly

hey guys read my new post they canceled the 2nd round of chemo and just want to finish the first. The lymph nodes are clear and the tumor shrunk to less than half it's size!!!! They say she should be NED in the next few weeks and that the 2nd round of chemo wont even be needed! Doc said we caught this just in time to knock it out!!!!!! Thanks everyone I always tell my mom about the survivors here. She went from suicidal to a fully committed fighter. This is incredible.