trying to make a difference

tjdance84

**Content was approved by KatieB/Admin

Hello,

I am a graduate student at the University of Georgia studying Speech Communication. I am particularly interested in communication related to health and families. I am in my second year of my Master’s program and, therefore, working on my thesis. My project is entitled, “How Family Communication Patterns and Conflict Management Affect Cancer Patients’ Support Satisfaction and Availability.” I am examining the communication styles and strategies in families in which one individual is fighting cancer. More specifically, I am looking at how those fighting cancer communicate/discuss their support needs with their loved ones. The future goal of this research is to obtain the information necessary to improve the type and quality of support that is offered to cancer patients, and to ensure that the type of support that they want/need is the type that their family and loved ones are able to provide.

In order to carry out my research, I need individuals who are currently fighting cancer to fill out a questionnaire about how they communicate with their families, particularly in regards to the illness. Therefore, I am asking for your assistance. Any individuals over the age of 18 who are currently fighting cancer and who have at least one other individual in their immediate families are welcome and encouraged to click on the link below, read the consent form explaining the study and questionnaire in more detail, and then fill out and submit the anonymous questionnaire online. You are free to contact me if you have any questions/concerns regarding your decision to participate. Further contact information is available on the informational letter at the beginning of the survey (you will have the opportunity to read through the letter and make your decision before you are asked to look at/answer any of the questions).

Many of my loved ones have fought and continue to fight cancer and for this reason I am extremely passionate about my project. I believe that my work could potentially make a significant difference and, therefore, I would love the opportunity to get a decent number of individuals involved. Thank you so much in advance for your time and consideration.

Link to the questionnaire:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=3eydO24u5OJ6qDwA_2bR_2bmOg_3d_3d

I have an MA in Counseling Psychology with an emphasis on communication and would love to help. Hope I have a little time though because I won't be able to get to it right away. I travel for my treatments and am getting ready to go day after tomorrow. Let me know if late next week is o.k. and I'll jump on it then.

Judy in Key West