Why?

betplace

I am so new to all this, forgive me if this is answered somewhere. I am not questioning why I have this nasty disease, only the Lord and the ciggarette company's can answer that. I want to know why can they not cure extended stage small cell carcinoma? :shock: Why am i considered a hopeless case, what has all that money spent on research been spent on? I live in the most advanced richest nation on earth and I can only get pallative and supportive treatment? :shock: I am condemned before I even start! My oncologist holds out no hope for me! Without hope, how am I supposed to fight this? Everything I read tells me I have 8 months to a year, yet I feel very much alive! I am not ready to give up, but the world it seems already has given up on me. I am a little frustrated right now as you can tell. I am willing to go through the hell of chemo since I have to, but shouldn't it cure me? and if doesn't what then? Where do I turn after that? :cry:

I am venting I guess, but it seems like a good place for it, I know none of you has any answers for me, but thanks for letting me vent and any suggestions on how to keep my spirits up for this fight would help.

Blessings all :)

Betty

Betty, As long as you are breathing there is hope! Prayer has seen me through so far and having a wonderful support system of family and friends helps too. I think attitude has a LOT to do with it and I for 1 refuse to give in to this! Prayer and good wishes sent your way. God Bless you, MO

Betty, Welcome. I would hope I'm not the only person on this message board to tell you, you've been blessed with 9 months to live. I do not know my fate or yours. But, I do know what time is left for me is a blessing and I chose to live and fight. Please seek a second opinion and look for the reason we're still here. If you find out what that is, let me know. ha ha

God Bless, David W

Oh Betty, There is hope. Always HOPE. I was diagnosed Feb. 2001 almost 3 yrs ago. Nobody I mean nobody knows how much time they have here on earth. I consider it a blessing to be in my shoes. I have the opportunity to make sure any loose ends are tied up! I have had friends and family killed in car accidents, heart attacks and other accidents and never had the chance to do what I have been able to do. God allows each of us to have a certain amount of time to accomplish His Will while we are here. I have been able to do the things He wants me to do and I would not have done them if it were not for the cancer. Sorry if I sound too preachy but I want all of you to know there is always hope. Sometimes hope may be for the peace to accept things we can not change and go out and do the best we can for as long as we can. Betty you are in the right place. There are some very caring people on these boards and we ALL have to vent at one time or another. Smile each day and make someone else smile, you will see that you too can get thru this! :D

Guest Karen C.

I second OhioKat's opinion. If you want more aggressive treatment find someone who will give it to you.

Keep in mind, too, that how you fight this disease psychologically makes a big difference. Use imagery, and fight the monster by visualizing is being eaten up by the chemo and radiation.

Think positive, and relish every minute of your life.

God Bless,

Karen C.

(David C.'s wife)

Bet,

The way I look at it is... Every day my mom is here is another day closer to a cure. She has extensive SCLC also. New treatments are coming out all the time. Then all I need is one day, cause tomorrow there may be that cure.

Take care,

Lisa

I guess I was feeling sorry for myself that day :( Thanks for all the positive replies and good wishes. Mostly I am pretty positive about all this, knowing that is my best chance for fighting off this nasty beast! I want to thank Rick and whoever else is responsible for this forum, it is so wonderful to have a place to go for honest info, sharing and yes even to vent!

I look forward to years of writing to all of you :)

Betty