Question...looking for advie

Hopefull151

Update: Mom is doing pretty good. She just finished first round of Chemo and radiation. She is getting physically stronger but mentally I think she is a little depressed. I think it is the waiting of the results that are getter to her. The fear of the unknown....

Question: Mom could possible lose her job in the next few months. I wanted to be proactive and see if anyone has any advice of how we will be able to get her decent insurance that we can afford and if there is anywhere to get financial assistance if this scenario does play out. She is only 57 so she will not qualify for Medicare and Cobra will be really costly on top of trying to keep her mortgage and bills paid without a job. I was just hoping that someone would have some advice.

I'm not sure about this, but I think that her employer is going to have to be very, very creative to get rid of her. I don't think she can be fired because she has cancer.

This doesn't answer your question, however. Tell us more.

Muriel

Well, the company hasn't been doing well. It is a very small company and they are struggling to stay afloat. They were told just to have all their ducks in a row just in case. She is also concerned that if she has to take off more time that they may choose to let her go over some of the other employees just due the fact that she keeps taking time off. Nothing is set in stone yet...I was just hoping to see what I could do to help her out if this does happen. If she gets let go or they close the doors she will have no insurance and no income.

I can't remember all of the details, but if the company is of a certain size she should be covered under the family leave act, which also covers patients. Not for insurance, but for paid leave.

Hoping that it doesn't become an issue for her.

We are in the same boat. My husband is a teamster and we have excellent insurance. We pay nothing for our insurance since the union dues cover it. They pay 100% for my chemo and we only pay $1000 in the beginning of the year for deductible.

My husbands job has gone bankrupt and they are up for sale. If a non-union business buys it or if noone buys it and he is fored to find a new job, we all know noone will insure me. Under the COBRA law, we an continue to stay insured for $903.00 per month!!! Thats more than our mortgage payment. And COBRA is only good for 2 years, so if my docs are wrong and I am still around in 2 years - I guess I am outa luck!!!

This has been on our minds a lot lately. Sure seems like this is unfair. Plus I have some guilt hat I may bleed us dry for health insurance.

I, too, would be interested in any information anyone has.

Hugs - Patti B.

Iam pretty certain that anyone with stage III to IV should be able to receive disability insurance. I know when you receive those Social Security info that comes to us there is a place that says if disabled you get a certain amount.

If you can get medicade that would cover Medical insurance. But not quite sure how that works.

Randy is excellant at finding the web sites. Hopefully he can help us out.

I know there are lots of people on here who hopefully will let us know.

We are going to try it also since Joel was restage to IIIB. I think this also has alot to do with what the doctors say.

Maryanne

First I don't know from your Mom's profile if she's a or b? The only reason I ask is because it's generally felt among some hospital staff who work with patient finances that IIIb lung cancer is fairly certain to allow disability payments. My advice would be to file as soon as you can after your mother stops working. They can tell you they have bizarre rules like you have to wait five or six months after filing to get approved and it's a standing rule that you don't get medicade until you've been on disability for two years unless you qualify for very stringent minimum annual income requirements.

Don't give up on getting help for your Mom. Some hospitals or cancer centers have personnel in finance who can help. You just have to ask. I'm sure many on this board know what it's like to have the stress of beig dx'd with cancer compounded with how you're going to pay for it.

Judy in Key West

Boy,

I don't know what to say about the insurance...I am sure that someone here will have some advice.

Please know we are here for you. Stay strong, and be sure you check into anti-depressants for mom...I used to be against them, but I do believe they helped my dad get through this. The world is rocked, and if a little pill will make it more bearable and give back some spirit, don't be afraid. PM me if you have any more specific questions about it!

Jen

I was staged 2A and applied for disability and it was approved first time. Kind of a pain to do it...but you can do almost all of it online. Only catch is you have to be out of work X number (dont remember for sure) of weeks I think. She should certianly qualify I would think...its worth a try.

dave

One more thing...as far as the job goes Florida is whats known as a right to work state. Which as far as a employer means they can dang near do what they want with little..or no reason...trust me...been there when I lived in Fl.

dave

My mother lost her job due to missing so much work. We called a Social Security Attorney and he got her placed on Social Security Disability, SSDI. She recieves a nontaxable check every month as well as medical insurance.

The best part is Social Security Attorneys do not charge the client, they are paid by the government. Please speak to one as it can take a long time to get the ball moving.

Be very carefull a portion of SSD maybe be taxable..and none is taken out of the monthly check unless you request it. Its also state taxable but that doesn't apply to you in Fl. As far as I know Medicare has a 2 year wait...but there are some special circumstances that may let it apply sooner.

dave

SSD and SSI are two totally different things. SSI is for very low income and most likely not taxable and should be accomapnied by Medicaid I would imagine. I was approved for SSD which is Social Security Disability a portion of which is taxable and after two years I was placed on Medicare and I kept a senior health plan. The first year I was approved for SSD I got a lump sum check with no taxes withheld and ended up paying a huge hunk the following April. I then was wiser and went online and instructed them to start withhold federal taxes out at a set percentage.