Alimta, Gemzar and Avastin

ernrol

Anyone had this combo?

This is just a short note to let everyone know what’s going on with my chemo. The chemo has not been easy. Some of it is cumulative. At the present time I get a steroid, Alimta, Gemzar and Avastin every two weeks and the side effects are tough. SOB is a big problem. My first chemo I had no side effects, what a difference

Tomorrow I get the results of the latest scans and another session of chemo. All prayers appreciated. I want to get back to being more active, but have not felt up to it. Maybe this time I will have the right meds to take care of more of the side effects.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Hi Ernie,

Good to hear from you. I wish you were feeling better. That sounds like an interesting combo you are getting. Hopefully you will be getting some good scan results and those nasty side effects will be worth it. I also hope they can get those under control for you. Prayers coming your way!

Jill

ERNIE!!!!!!!!!!

You've got my most fervent prayers, friend! I cannot answer your question about your tx, but can answer the call to arms for prayer and positive vibes. So sorry it's difficult to keep up with the board right now. Hopefully you'll be feeling better as time goes on and you'll be BACK as good as ever. I KNOW you work hard on keeping positive! Best of luck and hope tomorrow goes well.

Kasey

PS to Robbi......SOB = Short of Breath

Hey Ernie, it sure is good to see you posting. I'm sorry to hear your having such a tough go of it. I think we have a few members here that are taking the same chemo's.

I too have heard that Alimta is a hard one to tolerate. I also remember hearing that Avastin is also a toughy. Gemzar for the most part is somewhat mild. If you can call chemo mild! :roll:

Rest when you need to, and don't push it.

Take care, it's just so good to see you posting. :wink:

Ernie-

You have my prayers for good scan results. Hang in there!!

Avastin was a cake walk for me but I am now on Alimta and it does cause a lot of fatigue and SOB. Never could figure out why they give a lung cancer patient something that makes you have trouble breathing!!!! Doc gave me an inhaler and that helps a lot - stairs are the worse!!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hugs - Patti B.

Ernie,

So glad to see you posted, but sorry you are not feeling well. My mom is on Alimta only, but has similar side effects that Patti described, plus a dull headache for a few days after treatment. I will be praying for great scan results tomorrow and that you will get some relief from your side effects.

Hugs,

Lisa

Hi Ernie,

So good to see your face! We were really worried about you here. Please check in from time to time just so we know that you are okay. Okay?

I'm sorry to hear all that you are going through. That seems like a really tough combination. No wonder you are knocked on your a*s.

I pray for positive(meaning in a good way) results of your tests. You're a very strong person, you may not feel that way physically right now but from the inside with your determination you are a rock. I just know you will be running again. One day at a time. That's what it is with this disease when you are going through treatment.

We are all here supporting you and missing you.

Fingers crossed here for good resu;ts.

Maryanne :wink:

Ernie,

My husband had pneumonitis as a result of Alimta. He grew progressively short of breath and then it got severe, but it showed on CT scan as a ground glass opacity. He had to undergo prednisone therapy in large doses over a long period of time. This doesn't happen to everyone, but I think that patients who are treated with Alimta should be aware of the possiblity . Good Luck Ernie. You have my prayers.

Sue