Radiation pain

amieb

I want to thank everyone for their kind words and prayers. It means a lot to me to come on here and reread the positive posts from everyone.

Dad goes in for radiation #5 today. The pain is not getting any better. Getting worse actually. Everyone keeps telling us it might be another week. I don't know how that is possible. He gets weaker by the day. We have him on full time Oxycotyn (sp?) all day and then smaller doses for the breakthrough pain. That is working much better than the fentynl pain patches we were on. We also got some morphine for him to take right before he goes in. I don't know if that's a good sign but I hope it helps.

The hard things:

- Getting him to eat. He is kind of a bear about it. Does anyone know a good high protein/high calorie shake that worked for them?

- Muscle atrophy. He has an awful case of edema and is barely able to walk now. Does this go away? We are getting some ortho socks for him and his walker comes today so hopefully that will help. I am just wondering how long to expect this to last.

I read lots of stories about people living for a while with the Stage IV. That is the goal for Dad. Thanks for the continuing good thoughts.

Love,

Amie

Amie-

I am Stage IV and am 18 months out from dx and doing well. I cannot really help you with any of your questions as I never had radiation.

I did, however, want to tell you that I am so sorry your dad is going through this and I will remember him in my prayers.

What a great daughter you are!! God bless you!!

Hugs - Patti B

Amie, you could try making milkshakes for Dad. Use ice cream with cream or half & half, add some Carnation Instant Breakfast and a scoop or two of protein powder (the kind the body builders use) You can add chocolate syrup or fruit or whatever he likes to make it taste good. Good luck

wendyr

Amie, I'm really sorry your dad is not getting quick relief from the radiation. Maybe it will start to help soon.

Edema is sort of an odd thing -- I have it occasionally, and I've never been able to figure out why. They always tell me to keep my legs elevated, but that's hard to do if I'm feeling good and want to be active. But if your dad is doing a lot of sitting, having his feet on a footstool might help. Of course you're probably doing that already...

Aloha,

Ned