New to this site and have to say thank you..

My honey was diagnosed on January 23, 2008 with Stage 3 Lung Cancer. They were to do 7 weeks of radiation along with chemo for 4 weeks, every 4 weeks. Februray 25th was the big day for Chemo to start and also the radiation. He sat in the chemo chair, for 2 hours, all set up and ready to go when they pulled him out of it to tell us that from the CT scan done the Thursday before things had gotten worse and they could not do the treatment plan original given to us. So no chemo. Radiation doc advised that he was now treatable but not curable. they did start radiation that day and did it for 12 straight days. I must say, it has worked wonders. He can breath again that nasty coughing has almost become disappeared, I thank God every day. We meet with the chemo again on Monday morning and pray that they can start it that same day. My heart has ached for him since this has all started, I have never felt so helpless in my life. I'm a woman - a mother -a grandmother - I have nutured since I can remember now and cannot fix the man I love with all my heart.

Hello Janette and welcome

I am so sorry to hear about your honey. Please know that we understand your feelings here and are here to help you however we possibly can.

Please keep us updated on his treatment plan as we will be able to offer much more in the way of advice and support once he begins his treatment plan.

Let us know how else we can help and know that there is always someone here to lean on.

Warmly

Christine

Janette--I'm glad you found us. We will walk with you through this and support you in any way we can. it's very frightening (as you have already discovered) and for those of us who are caregivers, it is hard to cope with the feelings of helplessness. There are all kinds of things we can do for our loved ones, but we can't fix what's wrong with them--and that is the one thing we want to do more than anything. I'm glad the radiation has brought some relief and hope he can get on chemo soon. They told my mom her disease was treatable, but not curable. She has been stable and off all treatment for 10 months now. Treatable is a good option!

Susan

Janette,

I can truly say that we have been there.

Three plus years ago, Bill was diagnosed at Stage IIIB.

Jumpy doesn't even come close to what my stomach was doing with sinking sensations, and negative thoughts were in the majority.

I cried often (mostly in the shower) - didn't want to upset him too much.

Our niece, who is an oncology nurse, came with us for the initial oncologist visit. She knew that people tend to "miss" what is being said when under stress. She was the extra set of ears.

Bill was to receive concurrent chemo/radiation. Our hope was for surgery following any shrinkage.

Later, it was determined to be "inoperable" due to location. The oncologist told us that he would be treating it as a chronic illness. That didn't mean much to me at the time. I wanted more assurance. Well, there was none to come, but I did know that there were treatments available, and more in the pipeline. Forget the statistics - they are old and rusty.

Here we are a little over three years later, and Bill is once again in chemo after having had a chemo break, albeit had some radiation over a time. Bill has been leading mostly what we call "new normal" life. He has been actively involved in gardening, socializing, and (in winter) shoveling snow from sidewalks.

This current regimen is Avastin/taxol/carboplatin.

There are treatments, Janet, and there is hope. We do not know from day to day how it all will go, but we try to keep positive (easier said than done, I know). The immune system works for the better when we are not under too much stress.

We keep an eye on nutrition, keep Bill hydrated (especially when receiving treatments - either or both radiation and chemotherapy).

Blessings wished for you and your honey, and holding onto hope,

Barbara

"Janette"]My honey was diagnosed on January 23, 2008 with Stage 3 Lung Cancer. They were to do 7 weeks of radiation along with chemo for 4 weeks, every 4 weeks. Februray 25th was the big day for Chemo to start and also the radiation. He sat in the chemo chair, for 2 hours, all set up and ready to go when they pulled him out of it to tell us that from the CT scan done the Thursday before things had gotten worse and they could not do the treatment plan original given to us. So no chemo. Radiation doc advised that he was now treatable but not curable. they did start radiation that day and did it for 12 straight days. I must say, it has worked wonders. He can breath again that nasty coughing has almost become disappeared, I thank God every day. We meet with the chemo again on Monday morning and pray that they can start it that same day. My heart has ached for him since this has all started, I have never felt so helpless in my life. I'm a woman - a mother -a grandmother - I have nutured since I can remember now and cannot fix the man I love with all my heart.

Janette,

I see that you live in Toronto,

good treatment is available there,

many new drugs have been added to

the list for treatment of LC in Canada

since I joined this forum.

Wishing you the best for the result

of yesterday appointment.

Jackie

Hello Janette! Sorry to hear you have casue to join us all, BUT am confident that you will receive info and support to help you through. Know that MANY here have been dx with stageIII and are around years later ~ like ME! Make sure you learn all you can and stay vigilant. I'll be looking forward to 'seeing' you around.

Kasey