Bill Just Completed Third Round

Barb73

Good Morning, Everyone, :)

This morning I introduced myself and am a bit at sea here at the moment. Forgive my absence, (had joined here three years ago, but all I could deal with in my dotage... :roll: was one site at a time.

The board I belonged to since then has changed for the third time, and expanded greatly.

I have perused this site, and know some of the people here from the other site. I needed to return to what was more comfortable. I would appreciate your kindness in my being accepted back "home."

Bill, my husband now 77, diagnosed Dec. 2004 at age 74, has been through more than a few regimens and types of treatment. When I get my files in order, I will post them.

First, I need to trim them down to something sane for human reading. Right now, they are more than a mile long.

What is important, right now, is that two weeks ago, and following second round of Avastin/taxol/carbo, the ct scans w/contrast, show shrinkage. :D

Forgive me if I seem all over the place, but it's been quite a journey. We have been "hanging in there." I do need support through this, and maybe I could contribute something along the way?

Thank you for your patience.

Barbara

[/i]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Barbara,

Our family here will soon know what an asset you will be to us as well. You and Bill are both near and dear to my heart and will always be!!!

You guys have overcome so much and your wisdom will be such an inspiration and motivation to all who read.

Again,

I am so glad you are here and I look forward to reading your posts.

xoxo

J-me (from LCA) and Jamie from here!!!

Haven't been around since '03 but wanted to say hi. I'm a flower freak and panies have always been one of my favorites. Also, your husband is doing great since then as a IV so he's an inspiration to those of us who are also III/IV's. I'll keep you and him in my thoughts.

Judy in Key West

Hi Barbara. It sounds like you have had an interesting journey with your hubby. I am sure you have lots to contribute. Welcome

What other support site did you belong to? I haven't explored any others since finding this one. There is probably more information I should be reading.

Hi, Barbara, welcome (back) to the group! I agree that this site is superior to the other support groups I've visited. It has a comfortable feeling, informal yet intense, folksy yet leading edge, without all those annoying popups suddenly obliterating what I was trying to read.

I'll be interested in reading your husband's history, especially the various treatments he's been on. In his fourth year of treatment, he's now on the same combination that was my first line treatment in 2006 -- Taxol/Carbo/Avastin. Though Avastin probably wasn't available for him in 2004, I believe Taxol and Carbo were in common use for lung cancer. Whatever he got seems to have worked well, because you guys (both of you!) are an inspiring success story. Aloha,

Ned

Jamie,

Sorry to be so long in responding. I couldn't find the reply button. Had forgotten (long term memory loss) :oops:

It was the "Quote" button at the top, but you already knew that.

Thank you for the warm welcome Jamie. I needed something like that since jumping ship at LCA.

I told Bill, and he sends his love, too.

Barbara

Hi Patti,

Actually Bill was dx in December of 2004 and not too long after (in 2005) jumped into bone mets, bringing him into stage IIIB/IV.

He is OK, though, and takes it all pretty well in his stride.

At the beginning of all this, he told me that it was going to be a "job." Was he ever right about THAT. :roll:

Thank you for the hug. Needed that.

Love and Hope,

Barbara

Hello Judy,

Thank you for the upbeat reply.

Yes, being a Stage IV not long after being a IIIB can be dealt with, but we know, too, that it can be a challenge, as well.

The thing we've come out of this with is the idea that observation re mets is very crucial.

(Our oncologist had said from the start that he would be treating it as a chronic. That is how it has been since 2004 - actually, the treatment began in January of 2005.)

The site that I left was "Inspire" which is attached to Lung Cancer Awareness. I originally joined it when it was "Survivors for Lung Cancer Awareness," and was encouraged there by its cofounder, David Grant. He, along with Estrea Johannasen, gave us the spark to get through.

The SLCA site changed once, but was relatively the same warm and comfortable effort.

Later it became a whole new site, and this last change was too much for me. I am sure lots of people like it, but I'm getting too old to have my head spinning with new formats. It spins enough as it is. :lol:

Thank you for the welcome. When dealing with lung cancer, it is soooo good to be able to relax a bit when posting.

Hope and all good thoughts,

Barbara

Hello Ned,

I thank you for the really nice reply.

I always read the "history" of each person. That is where the information is of vital importance in our journey with this disease.

Without a tag following the person, to be found somewhere on a site, there is a huge void. You might be surprised to know how, to some, that is a big dark secret. No one benefits from lack of knowledge - no one.

How do we know how that person's story began, and what they did to receive helpful treatment?

Thank you for the warm welcome, Ned. 8)

Holding onto Hope,

Barbara

Dear Kathy,

So good to see you.

You are so right, Kathy, I read your "history tag," and you said it was a struggle. It is. It takes energy, strength, and anything else we can throw at this.

Sometimes, we lose a bit of that, and at other times we gain some hope and some "chutzpah."

We need that so very much. Many of you who have lived with this know that hope and uplifting information can give us the needed bolstering.

You and your husband are wished good scans in April.

I will be keeping you in my thoughts for April.

Love,

Barbara

Barbara: Thanks to you--for the other site info but especially for the tech info I'm usually bugging Ned for. I didn't even know you could respond to each person individually let alone how to do it! Thanks again.

Judy in Key West

Hey there, Judy,

I'm glad you got the info on both counts. 8)

Knowledge is power - even for the "little" things like responding individually. :lol:

I see that you are in Florida.

Our youngest son lives in Orange Park. They are due to come up here for a visit soon. That will be a treat. We haven't seen them in a while.

Holding onto hope,

Barbara

"jaminkw"]Barbara: Thanks to you--for the other site info but especially for the tech info I'm usually bugging Ned for. I didn't even know you could respond to each person individually let alone how to do it! Thanks again.

Judy in Key West

"Barb73"]Jamie,

Sorry to be so long in responding. I couldn't find the reply button. Had forgotten (long term memory loss) :oops:

Thank you for the warm welcome Jamie. I needed something like that since jumping ship at LCA.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

I'm not sure how to post or reply. Did you get the post I sent a little while ago? Wednesday 3/19

PatK..the BWP

Dear Pat,

I received an email telling me that there was a topic reply to my posting.

When I clicked onto that link, it brought me here to this post. This is the only one, I think, that I received from you today, but I could be wrong.

I truly hope I haven't confused anyone.

Let me know if this is the post to which you refer?

Keeping hope alive,

Barbara

"Pat K"]
"Barb73"]Jamie,

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

I'm not sure how to post or reply. Did you get the post I sent a little while ago? Wednesday 3/19

PatK..the BWP

Hi Barb - welcome back - I am a relative newcomer myself and truly appreciated the warm welcomes from everyone!

I am amazed at what you and your husband have gone through - what a "job" it has turned out to be indeed. He is obviously an excellent worker as the shrinkage can attest to! Thank you for sharing your journey and again, welcome.

Enjoy visiting with your son and his family.

Linda

"Barb73"]Sandra,

Thank you for your patience in my response. I am a dodo. I couldn't find the reply button for each individual reply. :oops:

Thank you for the reply. It was a very nice welcome.

Holding onto hope,

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

It feels so comfortable to find someone I know. I also found the other 'site' a little too much for me. I am really going to miss some of our 'old' friends. Bob and I are happy to hear that you and Bill are as active as ever. One of these days I will introduce myself and let everyone know our rough ride with this ugly beast. So far so good!

Bob is still NED. He was dx May 2006 with 111B - inoperable LC. I hope I am pressing the right buttons on this. (If you hadn't mentioned to click on 'Quote' I would never had been able to reply to you. Happy Easter

Alice (rogercharley in the old one)

I

Alice,

Wishing you a lovely Easter weekend, too.

It's been like "old home week" for me seeing so many old/new faces.

I have to admit it will probably take me a while to get the hang of posting here. When I saw the size of the type in Bill's history, the realization hit that it was way too large (besides, being too long).

After experimenting with copy/paste, it may be resolved. :lol:

Glad you feel at home, Alice. The people here are wonderful. Yes, I also do miss my old friends, but still hear from some of them. It's been a very nice transition, and I appreciate that.

Again, welcome to you Alice.

Holding onto hope,

Barbara

Barbara: I'm not sure if I'm doing this right or not. My intention is to reply to both you and Alice. I hit the quote button and it copied your whole first post but here goes.

I went to the other site too. I'm going in once a day for awhile but I don't feel the same kind of energy I feel here. I do enjoy going from here to onctalk.com. They really serve different purposes for me. I get the sense of community here and some really good academic stuff there.

My main purpose for posting. Please don't worry about a profile being too long. I've left a lot of stuff out of mine but realize I really appreciate the info in others, even the long ones that take a lot of time to read. Maybe even especially the long ones (like Rich I think???) because everytime I go through it, I really how long term a survivor he is and how much he's been through to still be so positive. So--think hard before you cut!

Judy in Key West