Brand new member/ Please Help!

peebygeeby

Hi all, brand new to this site. My significant other has just been recently diagnosed, and we are freaking out! So desperate for support and hope.

Had his first visit to the oncologist this week. Has a large tumor in his right lung with metastizes to the spine. He is going to begin chemo next week. Apparently at this point the doctor feels surgery and radiation are not immediate options.

Please! Please! write to me with your success stories and give me something to hang on to!

Thanx.

As a relative newcomer myself, I can tell you you came to the right place. There are lots of people here, patients and caregivers, who will offer you much support and answer the many questions you'll have along the way.

Hang in and good luck.

Judy in Key West

Welcome peebygeeby,

Sorry you have the need to join us, but I'm sure glad we are here for you. Take some time and read over the stories in (MY STORY) forum. You'll find a lot of good stories in there that will inspire you.

You'll find a lot of support and information here, not to mention a LOT of wonderful caring people that will go the distance to help you on this journey.

Take a minute and read over the board Forums, and also we ask that you take a minute and fill out the (MY PROFILE) at the top of the page. Fill out the Signature part of the MY PROFILE with your significant other's date of dx.s, type of lung cancer, etc., etc., just look at my Profile and you'll get the idea. It's helpful for all of us to be able to read your PROFILE so we can better help you.

Welcome. Sorry you have to be here but this forum is great - I only wish I had found it when I was first diagnosed. People here are the best!!!

I am Stage IV with tumors in both lungs and mets to my spine and hip. I am almost 18 months into treatments and feel really good. I do most anything I did before, altho some things slower. I go wherever I want to go, I drive, I just finished painting my bathroom recently and am going to do my bedroom next.

You will find lots of success stories here. Don't listen to statistics. Just be prepared for the fight of your lives and Never, Never give up.

Please let us know how we can help you - any questions, advice - we will all be there for you.

Hugs to you - Patti B.

Hi, welcome to the group! You've found the right place, no question about it. As others have suggested, please spend some time creating a profile on behalf of your "significant other" -- that will save you much repetitive typing in the future, as there will be no need to give background every time you post a question or comment. Many of us will have very specific information and recommendations depending on age, tumor subtype, other medical problems, etc. etc.

Also keep in mind that with recent advances we're beginning to think of lung cancer as a treatable chronic condition rather than an automatic death sentence. Personally, I expect to die WITH cancer and not FROM it. Much Aloha,

Ned

I am so so glad you found this site. You are at a really scary confusing time right now, but the people here are so caring and helpful. Ask any questions and you are sure to get some answers! Important things - take lots of notes at the Dr. visits because you will get so much info all at once and it can get confusing. Write down the questions you have for the Dr. because when you get to the office - somehow they fly right out of your brain! And don't listen to statistics!!! Many of us here are "not supposed" to still be around !! I was diagnosed stage 4 with mets to the brain and spine 15 months ago - and I am still working, playing and loving life!

Please know there is always hope. And the oncologists know what they are doing. Ask lots of question, ask what all the options are and get actively involved in treatment. It is so very scary at first...but it does get better. God bless you and take care.

Read my signature, I have been very lucky so far...

Welcome to our group. I am sorry you have reason to be here, however. There are a couple things in your post that you didn't mention that would help us help you and your significant other:

Do you know what kind of lung cancer? Has the doctor given it a stage or mentioned whether it is "limited" or "extensive?" What were the circumstances around his being diagnosed?

I'm sure you both are terrified at this point. It gets a little better after treatment begins - at least something is being done then.

Yes, we do have lots of success stories and lots of people living with cancer as a chronic disease.

I hope we can help you both.

Muriel

Hello and a very warm welcome to a great site.

Peebygeeby, you will find help here - definitely. This will give you some confidence and much-needed support.

I have just returned here myself, and just following the "history" tags following the posts is VERY helpful.

If you write yours it will help others and you (it can become a "journal of sorts" for yourself.

I took Bill (my husband's) over the years, and it was easy to see certain places where a treatment was given and the results. The dates do become crucial when formulating a "mental picture" of the journey.

Sending you my very best,:D

Barbara

"peebygeeby"]Hi all, brand new to this site. My significant other has just been recently diagnosed, and we are freaking out! So desperate for support and hope.

Had his first visit to the oncologist this week. Has a large tumor in his right lung with metastizes to the spine. He is going to begin chemo next week. Apparently at this point the doctor feels surgery and radiation are not immediate options.

Please! Please! write to me with your success stories and give me something to hang on to!

Thanx.